User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Transformer connection

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Davao
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Transformer connection

    Good day;

    Our system tripped when we connected the distribution transformer Y-Δ, to our main transformer Δ-Δ.

    Is there a problem if i connect Δ-Δ to Y-Δ? or its better to connect transformer in Δ-Y to Y-Δ?


    Please Advise

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Valley NY, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't follow what is going on. Is the "distribution transformer" the utility's? Is the system ungrounded or corner grounded? Nothing should trip. Only thing you don't want to do is connect the primary neutral to a wye-delta.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Davao
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    I don't follow what is going on. Is the "distribution transformer" the utility's? Is the system ungrounded or corner grounded? Nothing should trip. Only thing you don't want to do is connect the primary neutral to a wye-delta.
    Hi;

    Yes sir, our distribution transformer is the utility wye-delta, connected to main substation delta-delta that is ungrounded.

    What did you mean sir about connecting the primary neutral to a wye-delta? Is the "primary neutral" is the neutral of the primary delta-delta of our main substation? What is the effect of this sir?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Valley NY, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markdegracia0370 View Post
    Hi;

    Yes sir, our distribution transformer is the utility wye-delta, connected to main substation delta-delta that is ungrounded.

    What did you mean sir about connecting the primary neutral to a wye-delta? Is the "primary neutral" is the neutral of the primary delta-delta of our main substation? What is the effect of this sir?

    If you have a wye delta, you would leave the primary wye point unconnected, otherwise large circulating currents can occur. This doesn't apply to you as you have a delta.

    What tripped? An ocpd or do you mean the ground fault sensor is indicating a fault?
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Plainfield, IN
    Posts
    908
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markdegracia0370 View Post
    Hi;

    Yes sir, our distribution transformer is the utility wye-delta, connected to main substation delta-delta that is ungrounded.

    What did you mean sir about connecting the primary neutral to a wye-delta? Is the "primary neutral" is the neutral of the primary delta-delta of our main substation? What is the effect of this sir?
    Can you post a single line diagram? Even a hand drawn one would help clarify. Are the two transformers connected in parallel? Or is the delta-delta transformer connected downstream of the wye-delta?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Davao
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wirenut1980 View Post
    Can you post a single line diagram? Even a hand drawn one would help clarify. Are the two transformers connected in parallel? Or is the delta-delta transformer connected downstream of the wye-delta?
    Hi sir

    Please see attached file. the 2.5 Δ-Δ is our existing main substation, and we have a new proposal to change it to Δ-Y. Can this transition affects the downstream loads?

    2.5MVA is already installed when we took over the company and its very old but its still functional. The 5MVA transformer is the only available unit so we used it temporarily.
    I already installed a power system that all our transformer is connected Δ(ungrounded) - Y(grounded) but this is my first time that i connected to Δ-Δ (both ungrounded). Can this be the possible reason of frequent tripping to our fault protection. All our metering in our substation are grounded.

    ISRI_BAGUIO ONE LINE DIAGRAM_ 12292015_attachement for ISRI Report-Layout1.pdf
    Last edited by Markdegracia0370; 04-17-18 at 12:02 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Davao
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    If you have a wye delta, you would leave the primary wye point unconnected, otherwise large circulating currents can occur. This doesn't apply to you as you have a delta.

    What tripped? An ocpd or do you mean the ground fault sensor is indicating a fault?
    I think its Ground fault sensor due to abrupt tripping of the system.

    Thanks for the advise.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Honesdale, PA USA
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markdegracia0370 View Post
    Good day;

    Our system tripped when we connected the distribution transformer Y-Δ, to our main transformer Δ-Δ.

    Is there a problem if i connect Δ-Δ to Y-Δ? or its better to connect transformer in Δ-Y to Y-Δ?


    Please Advise
    When you connect two three phase transformer banks in parallel you must consider the phase relationship between the two transformer banks. Connecting Y-Y or D-D causes zero degree or 180 degree phase shifting depending on the connections made. In the case of a Y-D or D-Y connection you may have a 30 degree or 210 degree phase shift and this must be accounted for. Last placing a Y-D in parallel with D-D you force a 30 phase shift between the two that can not be ignored and it will cause short circuit current to flow.

    Hope this helps.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,049
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you connect a wye sec in parallel with a delta sec?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Valley NY, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonLaw View Post
    When you connect two three phase transformer banks in parallel you must consider the phase relationship between the two transformer banks. Connecting Y-Y or D-D causes zero degree or 180 degree phase shifting depending on the connections made. In the case of a Y-D or D-Y connection you may have a 30 degree or 210 degree phase shift and this must be accounted for. Last placing a Y-D in parallel with D-D you force a 30 phase shift between the two that can not be ignored and it will cause short circuit current to flow.

    Hope this helps.
    I didn't see any mention of using transformers in parallel.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •