Thread: voltage label

voltage label

Is the label for the voltages in the picture attached here in this post in the right order? Which voltage comes first? The 240 or the 120?
    Thanks,

Mark

Name:  725.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  133.2 KB

Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

So per the official standards, outlined in those other threads, this is correct because it is a 3 PHASE system, so you always list the L-L voltage first, then the L-N voltage.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    So per the official standards, outlined in those other threads, this is correct because it is a 3 PHASE system, so you always list the L-L voltage first, then the L-N voltage.
    It certainly doesn't hurt, but isn't some of the info redundant and unnecessary? Seems like "240/120 three phase" is sufficient? When I have panelboard lables made, I will often order "208y/120 3 phase 4w" but I don't see that the "3 phase 4w" is necessary, but it seems like most people do it.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Redundant? Yeah, sure. But does it hurt to over explain? Given the number of confused people I see posting in forums like this and others I dwell in, there is a lot of misinformation out there and more info is not necessarily a bad thing. In other words there SHOULD be no ambiguity in just saying "240/120 three phase", but there IS no ambiguity in saying "240/120 three phase 4 wire".

And yet, sometimes even that isn't enough...
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...