Thread: Square D Safety Switch Recall

Square D Safety Switch Recall

Name of product:
    Square D brand General Duty 30 & 60A, 120/240-volt, 2-phase and 3-phase NEMA 3R Safety Switches

Hazard:
    The power can stay on when the safety switch handle is in the “OFF” position, posing an electrical shock or electrocution hazard to consumers.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/Schneider-Electric-Recalls-Square-D-Safety-Switches-Due-to-Electrical-Shock-Hazard
    Ron

Thanks appreciate the heads up on this!

I wonder how many of these will ever be replaced.
    Bob

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    We just got an email from our supply house with copies of old invoices and job names that these switches were purchased for.

I asked the manager if we were supposed to go change them out. He said, "No, your just supposed to go check and see if they operate properly."

So apparently not all of them need replaced.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I wonder how many of these will ever be replaced.
    Probably none. I ran into a similar recall on Amana and carrier PTAC cords last year, the owner would not even pay the labor to have the free cords replaced.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Probably none. I ran into a similar recall on Amana and carrier PTAC cords last year, the owner would not even pay the labor to have the free cords replaced.
    Of course the owner wouldn’t pay!
    if anything try to get paid by Amana for replacement time and trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    We just got an email from our supply house with copies of old invoices and job names that these switches were purchased for.

I asked the manager if we were supposed to go change them out. He said, "No, your just supposed to go check and see if they operate properly."

So apparently not all of them need replaced.
    My guess based on past recalls by Square D is you need to check for specific date code to see if it is one of the units included in the recall.

Last time I ran into this was for some I line breakers. I think I had two possible breakers in the installation that may be subject to recall - only one of them was made during the dates included in the recall.

Then I had a hard time with getting credit for the replacement even though I returned the recalled breaker, but that was more of an issue with my particular supply house and not necessarily Square D IMO.

Add: and this was like two or three years after initial installation - I wasn't paid to do anything related to this recall, though I was doing a good deed in my client's interest.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.