Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of AFCI breaker vs Receptacle

Cost of AFCI breaker vs Receptacle

So AFCI receptacles have really come down in price. What are your thoughts on the cost difference of using AFCI receptacles at the first outlet box and running MC for the HR? Aluminum MC is not much more than Romex in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSparks View Post
    So AFCI receptacles have really come down in price. What are your thoughts on the cost difference of using AFCI receptacles at the first outlet box and running MC for the HR? Aluminum MC is not much more than Romex in my area.

Its something to consider. The receptacles are much less finicky.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSparks View Post

My inspector in upstate NY (private third party agency) allows an AFCI recep at first outlet, even fed with ramen. Its pretty sweet, I run with it. Although I often still use breakers for the general lighting/receps as I see it as a hassle down the road if a recep behind a couch were to trip = service call, etc....
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    My inspector in upstate NY (private third party agency) allows an AFCI recep at first outlet, even fed with ramen. Its pretty sweet, I run with it. Although I often still use breakers for the general lighting/receps as I see it as a hassle down the road if a recep behind a couch were to trip = service call, etc....
    Under what grounds is the inspector allowing rope to the first receptacle ( AFCI) . I thought there still was no listed pair breaker/ Outlet combo. Is this something to look forward to in the 2017 code?

Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    Under what grounds is the inspector allowing rope to the first receptacle ( AFCI) . I thought there still was no listed pair breaker/ Outlet combo. Is this something to look forward to in the 2017 code?
    He just says he is the AHJ and its his interpretation.

"You can't generalize"

Well, he's wrong. We in NY are on the 2014 code.

Aside from the code requirements, AFCI receptacles are like putting a GFI receptacle behind a refrigerator.

-Hal

Not to get too off-topic, but here, generally, the inspectors will allow an easier version of the code if it supersedes the one we are currently on
    (And if you point it out). I may be wrong, however I believe they have the authority to do that. I don't know if the 2017 NEC allows Romex to an afci receptacle.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Well, he's wrong.

-Hal
    Yup

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Not to get too off-topic, but here, generally, the inspectors will allow an easier version of the code if it supersedes the one we are currently on
    (And if you point it out). I may be wrong, however I believe they have the authority to do that. I don't know if the 2017 NEC allows Romex to an afci receptacle.
    Nope. No change in the 2017. The receptacle has to be part of a listed receptacle/breaker combination and the receptacle has to be located in an accessible location. AFAIK there are no listed receptacle/breaker combination devices being made.

So that should answer the OPs question.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Nope. No change in the 2017. The receptacle has to be part of a listed receptacle/breaker combination and the receptacle has to be located in an accessible location. AFAIK there are no listed receptacle/breaker combination devices being made.

So that should answer the OPs question.

-Hal
    Leviton is putting there brand of panelboard on the market. Since the have AFCI receptacles I would not be surprised to see their recept/breaker combo bing listed.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.