Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conduit Inside Conduit

How do you comply with 300.18(A) with the inner raceway?
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulthrotl View Post
    yup. anything outside a raceway, is a sleeve the raceway goes thru.

4" pvc, or 2" square steel tubing, it's a sleeve.

So in the OPs case, they could run two conduits inside a larger conduit to separate the AC from DC circuits. In that case, the outer conduit is just a sleeve and needs no listing for use. But if they wanted to run just two conduits nested together with circuits in the smaller and larger conduit then the outer one would still be considered conduit and not a sleeve. Does that about sum it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    If the code doesn't prohibit something then it is allowed. That is the way it is.
    True, as long as the listing also allows it or does not prohibit it. That's the way it really is.

I just noticed that in the 2017 index it mentions Innerduct and refers you to 770.12, but 770.12 is no longer there. The definition is there in Article 100.

Quote Originally Posted by pv_n00b View Post
    So in the OPs case, they could run two conduits inside a larger conduit to separate the AC from DC circuits. In that case, the outer conduit is just a sleeve and needs no listing for use. But if they wanted to run just two conduits nested together with circuits in the smaller and larger conduit then the outer one would still be considered conduit and not a sleeve. Does that about sum it up?
    It certainly sounds logical, although I can't see anyone actually doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by ryangittens View Post
    In order to satisfy 690.31(B) can you put PVC inside PVC to separate the DC and AC wiring?

Is there any code that says you cannot put conduit in conduit?

Thanks!
    If you're going to run two conduits anyway why does one need to be inside the other? Why make it hard on yourself?

Maybe they ran one pipe and realized they needed to separate ac and dc after they ran that one pipe. I had a situation where we piped a commercial job for microinverters so only needed one pipe for ac and then the plans changed to an inverter so we needed to do something similar to what he is asking to separate dc and ac without having to dig up the concrete.