Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conduit Inside Conduit

Conduit Inside Conduit

In order to satisfy 690.31(B) can you put PVC inside PVC to separate the DC and AC wiring?

Is there any code that says you cannot put conduit in conduit?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ryangittens View Post
    In order to satisfy 690.31(B) can you put PVC inside PVC to separate the DC and AC wiring?

Is there any code that says you cannot put conduit in conduit?

Thanks!
    It isn't uncommon to put ENT inside large conduit. It is called innerduct then. As such you could certainly put two conduits inside a conduit and run AC in one and DC in the other. As far as specfically what you ask, I will defer to those more expert than me.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

I would think that putting a stick of rigid PVC inside of a larger stick of rigid PVC would not be code compliant, one for strapping and securing and for conduit supporting other conduit. ENT and innerduct look a lot of like, however they may have different listings.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    I would think that putting a stick of rigid PVC inside of a larger stick of rigid PVC would not be code compliant, one for strapping and securing and for conduit supporting other conduit. ENT and innerduct look a lot of like, however they may have different listings.
    IMO if you put PVC conduit inside another conduit it is not conduit anymore. It is some kind of a long sleeve. But I would be more inclined to use something flexible like smurf tubing.
    Bob

I am going to self correct. I thought Innerduct was ENT with a factory installed string. It isn't. ENT is Polypropylene and Innerduct is HDPE, which means no PVC glue fittings. Which raises another question. Code 770.12 mentions Innerduct, but I can't find a definition or an article 300 section that defines Innerduct. Why does the code use a term that needs defining, but isn't defined?

Is the conduit listed for that use? If not then I can't see how that would be acceptable. I don't know of anything in the NEC that says you specifically can't do this. I can't say this is something I would try, if I have to run two conduits anyway why not just run them side by side?
    Last edited by pv_n00b; 04-21-18 at 04:19 PM.

If using "typical raceway" you will terminate into cabinets, boxes, etc, where you still have both types of circuits entering the enclosure from essentially the same position.

If using a "sleeve" you can have multiple wiring methods contained within. Said sleeve doesn't even need to be something that is otherwise listed as a raceway.

Securing and supporting - you are allowed to fish wiring methods into structures or portions of them - a sleeve fits into this description.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    If using a "sleeve" you can have multiple wiring methods contained within. Said sleeve doesn't even need to be something that is otherwise listed as a raceway.
    yup. anything outside a raceway, is a sleeve the raceway goes thru.

4" pvc, or 2" square steel tubing, it's a sleeve.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pv_n00b View Post
    Is the conduit listed for that use? If not then I can't see how that would be acceptable. I don't know of anything in the NEC that says you specifically can't do this. I can't say this is something I would try, if I have to run two conduits anyway why not just run them side by side?
    If the code doesn't prohibit something then it is allowed. That is the way it is.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    If the code doesn't prohibit something then it is allowed. That is the way it is.
    FWIW, I agree with you, but not all do.
    Tom
    TBLO