Thread: ESS & Rapid Shutdown

ESS & Rapid Shutdown

I don't see any requirement for an Energy Storage System (ESS) to comply with the Rapid Shutdown requirements of 2017 section 690.12...(one purpose of the ESS is to supply power on AC power loss, right.)

I'm trying to evaluate what first responders need to do to cut ALL power inside a building during a emergency. (Rapidly)

Looks like the 706.11 Directory requirement is the only guide for the emergency responder. This directory will have to include the required 706.7 ESS Disconnecting Means, which could be inside the building anywhere.

Any local requirement out there yet for outside disconnects of Energy Storage Systems?

I agree that the code essentially does not require anything more than clear signage.

There are lots of different types of (pv and non-pv) systems that provide backup power if the service power is lost or disconnected. I think it would be hard, and perhaps unfair, to try to make them all meet the same requirements. Perhaps, though, there should be some basic requirements that are standardized.
    Last edited by jaggedben; 04-22-18 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit2 View Post
    I don't see any requirement for an Energy Storage System (ESS) to comply with the Rapid Shutdown requirements of 2017 section 690.12...(one purpose of the ESS is to supply power on AC power loss, right.)

I'm trying to evaluate what first responders need to do to cut ALL power inside a building during a emergency. (Rapidly)

Looks like the 706.11 Directory requirement is the only guide for the emergency responder. This directory will have to include the required 706.7 ESS Disconnecting Means, which could be inside the building anywhere.

Any local requirement out there yet for outside disconnects of Energy Storage Systems?
    An ESS system by itself does not have an RSS requirement. I would not be surprised if it were added to 706 in the 2020 revision though. If the ESS system is part of a PV system, i.e. they share any components like a multimode inverter, then it falls under 690.12. If the ESS can't be operated completely separate from the PV system then the ESS conductors could be considered PV system circuits by an AHJ.

Is there a reason that an ESS should require rapid shutdown when a standby generator or a UPS does not? I sort of get that roof mounted PV systems represent a special case for firefighters because of what firefighters need to do on roofs. Not sure what would put an ESS in the same category.

Firefighters prefer all power off inside a involved building. There is PI for 2020 to have the Main Disconnect on the exterior of 1 & 2 family dwellings...input that was driven by Firefighters as I understand.

Under 2017 Code section 445.18(B) generators will have a prime mover shutdown switch so first-responders can shut them off in most cases.

Now with ESS, there will still be power on inside the building...and these systems are gaining traction for widespread use. So...Firefighters may be exposed and I'm just bringing it up for discussion.