Thread: 2 pole toggle switch used with jumpers for single circuit lighting...

2 pole toggle switch used with jumpers for single circuit lighting...

I found a light switch that a maintenance guy replaced after the standard switch "failed". He used a toggle switch (not a light switch, a little toggle switch) that has two poles and he jumped the hot onto both poles, then jumped the load side back again..... I'm scratching my head here.
    Also, the lights run on 277v, his toggle switch is rated 120/250v.

Its one of those things you find sometimes. I'm going to replace it with a standard 277v rated, 20 amp switch.

Did it work like that ?

Without a picture I'm having a hard time understanding the install, and it's a moot point now anyway because you're going to change it out with the correct switch. I'm curious as to how he had it mounted in the cover plate though, what did he use a coax cover plate and take the little Barrel connector out?
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

It would have been better to wire the two poles of the switch in series than parallel.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    It would have been better to wire the two poles of the switch in series than parallel.
    unless needed the combined current rating of each pole?
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Most of those I come across have plenty of current rating, but are only rated 250 volts max.

When I do run into only say a 3 amp rating they are usually just a single pole switch, and maybe only 125 volts max.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Without a picture I'm having a hard time understanding the install, and it's a moot point now anyway because you're going to change it out with the correct switch. I'm curious as to how he had it mounted in the cover plate though, what did he use a coax cover plate and take the little Barrel connector out?
    I was looking right at it and had a hard time wrapping my head around it. It's exposed work on a brick wall, he used a blank cover with a hole drilled in it. Very classy.

have seen feed auger relay in pig barns wired like that (factory, not field wiring)

I think so they can use small relay
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric