On a lighter note which poor workmanship NEC rule does this break

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
But Phillips will recess nicely into an oval head screw while Torx will not.

(Just keeping it light.)

So your saying they can't make a torx head screw with a tapered bottom like a Phillips?
Interesting.....

Jap>

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
So your saying they can't make a torx head screw with a tapered bottom like a Phillips?
Interesting.....

Jap>
I am saying that I think that the Torx (TM) standard may not allow for that shallow a socket.
Although I suppose a very small diameter could be OK. For sure it would fill up with paint. :)

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I usually take the cover plates off before I paint anyway...:)

Jap>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I was taught to align them vertically....so women don't catch their fingernails in the slot when operating a switch

Generally around here the light switch is turned on when you enter or leave a room, which means the general motion is to reach right or left towards the switch and operate the device where the middle portion of the underside of the index finger contacts the bottom of the swith and it is turned on with an upward "Flicking" motion leaving the fingernails perpendicular to the allignment of the slots in the cover screws reducing any broken nail casualties......:)

JAP>

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Let's extend this discussion into the proper location of three way switches in a multiple gang box when going from one space to another.
Some say each switch should be nearest the space it controls, while I favor the first switch you come to being the area you are about to enter and the next one being the area you just left. That way you do not have both off at the once leaving you in the dark. :angel:

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
I was taught to align them vertically....so women don't catch their fingernails in the slot when operating a switch

I hope you're kidding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
Generally around here the light switch is turned on when you enter or leave a room, which means the general motion is to reach right or left towards the switch and operate the device where the middle portion of the underside of the index finger contacts the bottom of the swith and it is turned on with an upward "Flicking" motion leaving the fingernails perpendicular to the allignment of the slots in the cover screws reducing any broken nail casualties......:)

JAP>

I hope you're kidding too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Let's extend this discussion into the proper location of three way switches in a multiple gang box when going from one space to another.
Some say each switch should be nearest the space it controls, while I favor the first switch you come to being the area you are about to enter and the next one being the area you just left. That way you do not have both off at the once leaving you in the dark. :angel:

But only you would know that if you were the one who wired it. Otherwise you would have to leave instructions for everyone else to know what you did with the 3 ways, otherwise it'd be a crap shoot.

JAP>

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
But only you would know that if you were the one who wired it. Otherwise you would have to leave instructions for everyone else to know what you did with the 3 ways, otherwise it'd be a crap shoot.

JAP>

It does not matter what the wiring inside the box looks like, that is not what I was referring to.
House navigation algorithm:
When walking from room to room, flip the first switch you come to to turn on the light in the room ahead (if it is off) and then flip the next switch (after the G....D... CFLs have come up to useful brightness) to turn off the lights behind you. :)

When walking in the opposite direction, follow the same algorithm.
That way you do not have to make an effort to remember which switch controls what.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
It does not matter what the wiring inside the box looks like, that is not what I was referring to.
House navigation algorithm:
When walking from room to room, flip the first switch you come to to turn on the light in the room ahead (if it is off) and then flip the next switch (after the G....D... CFLs have come up to useful brightness) to turn off the lights behind you. :)

When walking in the opposite direction, follow the same algorithm.
That way you do not have to make an effort to remember which switch controls what.
The guys who wired my house paid no attention to stuff like that. In one room the light switch is all the way across the room from the door. In one bathroom the dual switch on the wall has the switch next to the light over the sink controlling the light on the other side of the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.