Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combining Circuits

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    Go to my house on a Sunday afternoon and mesure the amp load on my bathroom recept circuits and you'll get nothing. Measure on a Friday afternoon when my daughter is getting ready to go out and the same circuits will be at max load because of all the curling irons running.
    Got it....thanks.

I think they are wanting you to take some lightly loaded circuits and combine some of them to free up spaces in the panel for loads you need to add.

Thing is as the designer they should have taken these measurements and specified which circuits to combine IMO.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    . Isnt a load calc and amp probe reading?

No.
    But I think that's what they mean

. Isnt a load calc and amp probe reading?
    Load calc is a calculation that considers equipment ratings and may include demand factors - though demand factors usually apply to service or feeders more so then branch circuits.

Amp probe reading is nothing more then an instantaneous value at the time the reading is taken, it may be at high peak demand, low peak demand or anywhere in between. Depending on load characteristics, such reading may be the only reading you will see when the load is in operation though.

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    It appears to me that they are asking you to get the load current for each circuit and consolidate circuits to free up panel space.

That's what I think they want and I don't like it. That's assuming a lot. There may be circuits in an old panel that are not even being used anymore but you can't count on it.

Sometime there may be circuits that can be consolidated or eliminated an other times there are not.

I'll bet they did this on another job and it worked out and they just assume that this building will be the same.

What kind of professional requires you to "amprobe" a circuit?
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

I also find it sort of curious the replacement of the circuit breakers... almost sounds like the engineer wants you to put those combined circuits on larger newer Breakers or something... RFI for sure
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Not sure I quite understand what they mean or what would be involved when they say consolidate extg. branch circuits. So take multiple extg. circuits and make them one circuit based on amprobe readings. Thanks.

Was or is a walk through available, go to it.
    Sounds like lazy do my work for me, what do the panel schedules show?
    Like others said most of the circuits would already be maxed, you would need the old as-builts and guess/hope they are true or add lots of trouble shooting time to calculate loads, again their job, unless this is a design build.
    Remove change add breakers what the heck is that? Can the panel hold the calculated load, right they were supposed to determine that.
    Not too late to no bid!
    I would rfi this big time, or move on to a better bid that won't end up in court, if you can find one!

Quote Originally Posted by sameguy View Post
    Was or is a walk through available, go to it.
    Sounds like lazy do my work for me, what do the panel schedules show?
    Like others said most of the circuits would already be maxed, you would need the old as-builts and guess/hope they are true or add lots of trouble shooting time to calculate loads, again their job, unless this is a design build.
    Remove change add breakers what the heck is that? Can the panel hold the calculated load, right they were supposed to determine that.
    Not too late to no bid!
    I would rfi this big time, or move on to a better bid that won't end up in court, if you can find one!
    Need to do that task would be more understood with design build, but with design build you won't have plans and specifications to estimate off of. You might have original or as built to work with and use to help come up with new design.

without the dwg hard to say
    first, the ckt i should be amp'ed BEFORE removing the cb's lol

sounds like the dwgs show ckts combined in the field
    they want each of those ckts fully energized, measured and the new cb sized based on the sum of the 2 ckts

sounds iffy imo