Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combining Circuits

Combining Circuits

Not sure I quite understand what they mean or what would be involved when they say consolidate extg. branch circuits. So take multiple extg. circuits and make them one circuit based on amprobe readings. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    What does 'Amprobe existing circuits' mean?
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

I would assume it means to take amperage readings. To what end do you have to combine existing circuits? How much space needs to be made in the existing panels for new circuits?

I would think that most of the lighting circuits are already at capacity and thus not good candidates to be combined.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

I would RFI and find out what it is they expect. I would also want to do a load calculation on each existing branch circuit.
    Bob

Amprobe is the brand name of a company that makes measurement equipment. You can't take ampere readings after you disconnect the circuit breaker. So my interpretation is that you are being asked to verify which circuit supplies power to which loads.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

It appears to me that they are asking you to get the load current for each circuit and consolidate circuits to free up panel space. The issue with that is that you are only getting "snapshot" load information and would not really be a suitable method of determining if circuits could be consolidated unless steps were take to ensure that all possible loads were on at the time of the "snapshot" current reading.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I would RFI and find out what it is they expect. I would also want to do a load calculation on each existing branch circuit.
    . Isnt a load calc and amp probe reading?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Amprobe is the brand name of a company that makes measurement equipment. You can't take ampere readings after you disconnect the circuit breaker. So my interpretation is that you are being asked to verify which circuit supplies power to which loads.
    So circuit tracing?

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    It appears to me that they are asking you to get the load current for each circuit and consolidate circuits to free up panel space. The issue with that is that you are only getting "snapshot" load information and would not really be a suitable method of determining if circuits could be consolidated unless steps were take to ensure that all possible loads were on at the time of the "snapshot" current reading.
    So when you say "free up" panel space you mean have some spare breakers? Can you provide a little more detail as to why you're only getting a snapshot? Thanks

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    So when you say "free up" panel space you mean have some spare breakers? Can you provide a little more detail as to why you're only getting a snapshot? Thanks
    Go to my house on a Sunday afternoon and mesure the amp load on my bathroom recept circuits and you'll get nothing. Measure on a Friday afternoon when my daughter is getting ready to go out and the same circuits will be at max load because of all the curling irons running.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.