Square D Homeline Two-Pole GFCI CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

I called tech support last Friday for Schnieder/Square D and they told me a Square D Homeline 2-pole AFCI circuit breaker isn't listed for use in a 208 volt single phase panel.

My question:

Is a 2-pole Square D Homeline GFCI circuit breaker listed for use in a 208 volt single phase panel?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
May be semantics.
If the 208 single phase panel had only 2 phases the GF neutral conductor (pigtail) would have no
place to connect.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
May be semantics.
If the 208 single phase panel had only 2 phases the GF neutral conductor (pigtail) would have no
place to connect.

Gus, it is common to feed singe phase panels from 3 phase sources. Two hots, neutral and ground. Think about typical large multi family dwelling services. Three phase to the meter stack and single phase to the dwellings.

I never though about 2 pole GFCI breakers not being listed for 208 volt systems. I'm sure there are millions being used. Since the electronics in the breaker are 120 volt I'm not sure why the breakers are not suitable for 120/208 volt systems.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree. That's why I thought it was a misunderstanding .
I was shooting at his adviser thinking it might be a 208 (only) panel with no neutral present.
SWAG

chris1971

Gus, it is common to feed singe phase panels from 3 phase sources. Two hots, neutral and ground. Think about typical large multi family dwelling services. Three phase to the meter stack and single phase to the dwellings.

I never though about 2 pole GFCI breakers not being listed for 208 volt systems. I'm sure there are millions being used. Since the electronics in the breaker are 120 volt I'm not sure why the breakers are not suitable for 120/208 volt systems.

This is in a 10 story condo building in one of the units. Square D says the Homeline 2-pole AFCI circuit breakers aren't listed for use on a 208 volt system. That's what tech support told me when I called. I was wondering if it's the same way with the 2-pole Homeline GFCI circuit breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.