more then 42 circuit panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Can someone explain when we can use bigger sizes of electrical panels.
I'm wondering if there is any limitation for it.
It was either 2008 or 2011 NEC (can't recall which one) that removed the definition of "Lighting and appliance panelboard" as well as the 42 circuit limit that applied to these panels.

You still must follow the instructions of the panel you have when it comes to installing tandem breakers though, so you can't fill an old 42 circuit max panel full of tandems to get more circuits out of it.

I've seen 42 circuit Homeline panels that accept tandems in all 42 spaces more recently, but if using in a dwelling and considering AFCI requirements you will not have many circuits you can use a tandem with anyway, 2017 sounds like basically all 15/20 amp 120 volt circuits will be AFCI - maybe not if it feeds outdoor outlets only?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Most of the mfr's are now making 20/40, 30/60, 40/80 and 42/84 breaker panels. However, as Iwire mentioned if you're doing new construction, even though the panel accepts tandem breakers those spaces will be used up with AFCI breakers. The new breaker panels are great for service upgrades. I don't believe we are required to use AFCI breakers on upgrades unless your area is enforcing 406.4(D)(4). I can't see it though. What are you supposed to do with MWBC's ?

kwired

Electron manager
Most of the mfr's are now making 20/40, 30/60, 40/80 and 42/84 breaker panels. However, as Iwire mentioned if you're doing new construction, even though the panel accepts tandem breakers those spaces will be used up with AFCI breakers. The new breaker panels are great for service upgrades. I don't believe we are required to use AFCI breakers on upgrades unless your area is enforcing 406.4(D)(4). I can't see it though. What are you supposed to do with MWBC's ?
406 applies to receptacles, cord connectors and attachment plugs and has nothing to do with panel changeouts.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
406 applies to receptacles, cord connectors and attachment plugs and has nothing to do with panel changeouts.
Sorry I'm just getting back on this but I haven't been getting e-mail notifications from the Forum lately. Yes, you are correct, 406 applies to receptacles, cord connectors and attachment plugs but based on the intent of the CMP with this section it's only a matter of time before one of the mfr's on the CMP suggests that we start using AFCI breakers on panel change outs or upgrades.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

The 2014 specifically states that unless you add an outlet or more than 6' wire to the circuit then no afci is rquired. The substantiation was specifically for panel changeouts.

They make dp afci for a multiwire branch circuit.

[QUOTE210.12(B)]Exception: AFCI protection shall not be required where
the extension of the existing conductors is not more than
1.8 m (6 ft) and does not include any additional outlets or
devices.
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.