comments due 9/25

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

The Public Comments can now be viewed for those interested. http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/document-information-pages?mode=code&code=70&tab=nextedition

I have two first impressions:

1. I find it interesting that not a single comment was submitted to oppose the expansion of AFCI protection to all 120V, 15A & 20A branch circuits. Not even one.

Because people have given up after over a decade of opposing them.

2. Check out NEMA Public Comment 822 to First Revision 329. I believe this is irrefutable evidence that NEMA and it's members will put safety ahead of profit motive.

I find it laughable that would even suggest altruism is the primary motivation for mega multi-national corporations that dominate the electrical industry.

klineelectric

Occupation
electrical contractor
I think it is because it is, in my opinion, much more time consuming to research the PIs and first draft in order to make a comment.

It appears to me that the new system was designed with the express intent of limiting the public participation in the process.

I agree 100%. That website is not user friendly at all! You have to set some serious time aside to research. If you want to comment on the AFCIS the first revision PI to comment on is PI#4218.

klineelectric

Occupation
electrical contractor
Because people have given up after over a decade of opposing them.

I find it laughable that would even suggest altruism is the primary motivation for mega multi-national corporations that dominate the electrical industry.

DONT GIVE UP, comment on First revision PI#4218

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
1,506 Public Comments were submitted for the First Draft of the 2017 NEC. This is the lowest total in six code cycles.

The Second Draft Meetings will be November 1-14 in San Diego, CA.

The second draft meeting will be in san diego. weird.
Do they get much involvement from folks in Calif.
We won't use the 2017 until 2020.

peter d

I'm hopeful that as the years go by, individual states will see the insanity of requiring AFCI protection on every circuit (particularly in cold climates) and make amendments accordingly.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Actually, Californians are or were members of several CMPs or other TCs.

interesting.
I wonder why the corrective and clarifying codes never seem to make it to the California code in a early version.
If you look at the draft of the 2017 California code it is adopted basically in its entirety.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
interesting.
I wonder why the corrective and clarifying codes never seem to make it to the California code in a early version.
If you look at the draft of the 2017 California code it is adopted basically in its entirety.
If you review the convoluted California Building Code adoption process you might wonder why it's only three years late. The biggest single holdup is the desire to sync everything with the ICC's International Building Code

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
It is truly mind boggling the disconnect between people in ties and those working in the field. Its not that we lack theory or experience, its those making the rules. :happyno:

Status
Not open for further replies.