Two way radios and garage opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The NEC doesn't actually speak directly to the issue of portable equipment in classified locations except luminaires. However, OSHA, MSHA and the Coast Guard does. Portable electrical/electronic equipment must be marked for the location.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Ah, I thought the opener itself, as in the motor and associated controller.
What I think that OP was concerned about was two things:

1. RF energy in general, perhaps as a fallout from hearing about RF transmitters being banned in blasting areas because of the chances of "extreme nuisance" tripping of detonators. Not a problem in general Classified areas.
2. Heat or more likely internal sparks from switches, etc. in the hand held devices with batteries. That is what rbalex is addressing.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
What I think that OP was concerned about was two things:

1. RF energy in general, perhaps as a fallout from hearing about RF transmitters being banned in blasting areas because of the chances of "extreme nuisance" tripping of detonators. Not a problem in general Classified areas.
2. Heat or more likely internal sparks from switches, etc. in the hand held devices with batteries. That is what rbalex is addressing.
1. "...Not a problem in general Classified areas." This is true; however, occasionally you will see a notice prohibiting using cell phones around fuel dispensers. It isn't necessary, they aren't even being used in Division 2, but it is a result of some jurisdictions' over-analysis.
2. OSHA, MSHA and the Coast Guard actually require portable electrical/electronic equipment to be "marked" not just identified ​for the location.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
1. "...Not a problem in general Classified areas." This is true; however, occasionally you will see a notice prohibiting using cell phones around fuel dispensers. It isn't necessary, they aren't even being used in Division 2, but it is a result of some jurisdictions' over-analysis.
I suppose they are envisioning somebody using the photo light on their phone to look into a gas tank? Better that than a match. :)

Anyway, I strongly suspect they were thinking of sparking rather than RF, since they also prohibited one-way pagers back when those were more common.

Status
Not open for further replies.