Wiring a 14-50R Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

1jorge1

Can a 14-50R 125/250 3 pole, 4 wire plug be used in a 250V 3 phase application? This will be ran to a 50A 3 pole breaker. My second question is, if the load attached to this plug is only rated for 32A, can I size the cable for 32A instead of 50A (breaker/plug rating)?

Thank you in advance.

iwire

Staff member
Can a 14-50R 125/250 3 pole, 4 wire plug be used in a 250V 3 phase application? This will be ran to a 50A 3 pole breaker. My second question is, if the load attached to this plug is only rated for 32A, can I size the cable for 32A instead of 50A (breaker/plug rating)?

Thank you in advance.

Allowed or not that is a poor plan, if a load that does require a neutral is plugged into it smoke may leak out of the equipment.

norcal

There are receptacles with configurations made for different voltages, ampere ratings, & single, or 3 phase, one of my pet peeves is when someone in a attempt to pinch pennies uses a single phase device for a 3 phase load. Do it right & use the correct device for the purpose.

kwired

Electron manager
Not uncommon to see this done on farms around here, cost difference and ready availability from something with proper rating I'm sure are factors in the decision of what to use. FWIW they are often in locations where the risk of someone plugging in something needing 120/240 volt single phase is not very high.

Even more common is seeing 10-50 receptacles used where they should be using 6-50 receptacles. Cost plus the fact those 10-50's have been there many years and are often used for equipment that is portable and moves from site to site have an impact on not changing those - and all new sites sort of require the "old plug" just so they don't have to change plugs on all sites.

kwired

Electron manager
Wired with bailing wire and duct tape.:D

Probably more true then you think sometimes and maybe should have ended your comment with :( or :eek:.

Of course this is usually the owner or other non qualified person making these installs or repairs, as long as the equipment "runs" it will be fine.:roll:

iwire

Staff member
Probably more true then you think sometimes and maybe should have ended your comment with :( or :eek:.

Of course this is usually the owner or other non qualified person making these installs or repairs, as long as the equipment "runs" it will be fine.:roll:

I have little farm experience but from what I have seen I knew my comment was pretty close.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have little farm experience but from what I have seen I knew my comment was pretty close.

In Michigan there is NO code enforcement on farms. Agriculturally zoned property needs no inspections and has no codes to follow. Article 547 is written out of the Michigan Building Code, meaning it's not enforced anywhere in Michigan.

I can tell you some stories.....got a few pictures, too.

iwire

Staff member
One of the items I saw while installing solar at a dairy farm was the use of an industrial battery two pole plug set on a PTO mounted generator used to back feed a panel if power was lost.

Neutral? EGC? Nope, just two hots.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
One of the items I saw while installing solar at a dairy farm was the use of an industrial battery two pole plug set on a PTO mounted generator used to back feed a panel if power was lost.

Neutral? EGC? Nope, just two hots.

There is a hardware store about 45 miles north of me that still has porcelain tubes, as in knob and tube, on the shelf for sale. We just stopped in on a weekend for about 50 cents worth of screws, which is about all I had with me or I would have bought the whole box of tubes. The lady didn't even know how much to charge me. I have always planned on going back up there during the week.

This was also at The Land.

View attachment 13506

It was the main for a cabin and had nothing to do with wells. A 70 amp box with a 100 amp breaker.

View attachment 13507

Mounted on a square pole that, I guess, was too short to reach the wiring.

View attachment 13508

kwired

Electron manager
In Michigan there is NO code enforcement on farms. Agriculturally zoned property needs no inspections and has no codes to follow. Article 547 is written out of the Michigan Building Code, meaning it's not enforced anywhere in Michigan.

I can tell you some stories.....got a few pictures, too.
Agriculture applications are exempt from application of the State Electrical Act (and is printed within the content of the Act). I suppose one could challenge the wording but as is handled it basically means we are not required to file permits for such projects, but are not prohibited from filing such permit either. If you do an inspector eventually will come look at the work and will issue correction notices if there are any.

One POCO in my area has decided many years ago that they will not connect/energize a new service that operates over 150 volts to ground without a permit being issued. This mostly effects field irrigation services and some (though there is becoming more each year) larger on the farm grain storage facilities. They don't care if the contractor or owner files the permit (either can) they just want to make sure it will get looked at by the state inspectors. They will energize before it is inspected they just need proof of the permit and that in itself means it will be looked at sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.