Arc fault tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I don't own one nor have ever used one. But I've saw posts by people who have and I watched a video of it in action. Seems (iirc) one of the features was it would tell you whether the AFCI tripped on arc fault or ground fault. IMO, it would be cheaper to just install a GFCI breaker, then if it trips it you would know it was the GF function of the AFCI that tripped.
If it didn't trip the GFCI then it tripped either on arc fault, short circuit, or overload.
You could use a meter to check for short circuit or overload. That just leaves arc fault.
Now is it an actual arc detected or nuisance trip?:roll:

kwired

Electron manager
I asked last week about using a megger to check old wiring out to see it might work with an arc fault breaker. Anyone have experience with this tool and know if it is worth trying?
http://thd.co/1FTBwAv

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Seems to me the equipment in the link needs to have responded to a trip condition to provide any information about the trip, yet you are asking about seeing if existing wiring is in condition to work with AFCI.

Isn't this still going to be a situation of install something and then wait and see what happens, it just may happen to make finding the problems a little easier once they occur?

I did not read information on that product real carefully, but that is what I get from general information in that link.

dhalleron

Since I only do this part time I am just reaching for whatever info I can find. I know my friend has had a few problems with arc fault protection.

I am bidding on a job where I will deal with arc fault breakers for the first time. I have worked for this customer many times before and he prefers I do the work as opposed to another contractor he got pricing from. I even have enough room in my quote to buy some tools.

I gave him a separate price on replacing all of the wiring in this house built in the late 50s if required. I just don't really have time right now to do all of that work.

kwired

Electron manager
Are you modifying/extending existing circuits?

AFCI protection of the entire branch circuit is not required unless doing so. AFCI protection of replacement receptacles - is somewhat debatable what the intent of rules may be.

New wiring you have no choice if you want to be compliant with latest NEC. Be careful with how you run and support cable as to not introduce problems with install methods. Appliances that don't play well with AFCI - will be a problem no matter what.

dhalleron

Are you modifying/extending existing circuits?

AFCI protection of replacement receptacles - is somewhat debatable what the intent of rules may be.

I will be changing non grounding type receptacles to grounding type with no existing ground wire and using a dual purpose AFCI/GFCI breaker. Locally we are required to AFCI protect if replacing receptacles. Depends on which inspector you talk to.

Tony S

"The Siemens Intelli-Arc Diagnostic Tool helps to accurately diagnose the circuit in which a fault has occurred. When used in conjunction with good troubleshooting techniques, this tool allows the electrical contractor to determine and locate the root cause or source of the fault."

Get the Megger out.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
"The Siemens Intelli-Arc Diagnostic Tool helps to accurately diagnose the circuit in which a fault has occurred. When used in conjunction with good troubleshooting techniques, this tool allows the electrical contractor to determine and locate the root cause or source of the fault."

Get the Megger out.
The Flukes I bought were priced in the same range as this tool and have more than one function. Not a hard decision to make.

kwired

Electron manager
I will be changing non grounding type receptacles to grounding type with no existing ground wire and using a dual purpose AFCI/GFCI breaker. Locally we are required to AFCI protect if replacing receptacles. Depends on which inspector you talk to.
There is a thread from somewhat recently where the discussion seems to indicate that 210.12 (forget which subpart) doesn't require AFCI protection for changes/modifications that don't involve extending the circuit more then 6 feet, but yet a section in 406 does seem to indicate changing a receptacle (grounding or non grounding type) that is not AFCI protected now requires AFCI protection, and that those two sections are conflicting one another. Just a FYI note you may want to check it out, I may see if I can find the thread and post a link to it.

Tony S

A friend has just lent me a MFT (multi function tester) to try out.

Voltage
Phase rotation
IR to 999Mohm @ 1000V DC
CR to 0.01ohm
MPFC and loop impedance for both the incoming supply and branch circuits
Earth loop impedance
RCD (GFCI) operating times

All in one unit

Will let you know how I fair with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.