Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exposed Energized Conductor or Circuit Part - OSHA vs NFPA70E

Exposed Energized Conductor or Circuit Part - OSHA vs NFPA70E

QUESTION: For a insulated energized (over 50v) cable, is OSHA saying that the cable is an Exposed Energized conductor but NFPA 70E is saying that is NOT an Exposed Energized conductor?

OSHA's 1910.269 definition of Exposed is
    • Exposed. . . . Not isolated or guarded.

OSHA's 1910.269 definition of Isolated is
    o
    Isolated. Not readily accessible to persons unless special means for access are used.

OSHA's 1910.269 definition of Guarded is
    o
    Guarded. Covered, fenced, enclosed, or otherwise protected, by means of suitable covers or casings, barrier rails or screens, mats, or platforms, designed to minimize the possibility, under normal conditions, of dangerous approach or inadvertent contact by persons or objects.

One of the interpretations I saw from OSHA stated:

• 1910.269(l)(2) Interpretation: An employee who is "exposed to contact" with an energized part under this definition is still "exposed to contact" with the energized part even if insulation covers the part, the employee or both. See §1910.269(x) (defining "exposed" as not isolated or guarded; merely covering a conductor or an employee with insulation does not provide guarding or isolation).

NFPA 70E's definition of Exposed is
    • Capable of being inadvertently touched or approached nearer than a safe distance by a person. It is applied to electrical conductors or circuit parts that are not guarded, isolated or insulated.

So ..... it seems to me that OSHA says exposed is "not isolated or guarded" and NFPA 70E says exposed is "not guarded, isolated or insulated".

Try these definitions for OSHA - 1910.399: https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owa...ARDS&p_id=9976

Quote Originally Posted by Jimland58 View Post
    QUESTION: For a insulated energized (over 50v) cable, is OSHA saying that the cable is an Exposed Energized conductor but NFPA 70E is saying that is NOT an Exposed Energized conductor?

OSHA's 1910.269 definition of Exposed is
    • Exposed. . . . Not isolated or guarded.

OSHA's 1910.269 definition of Isolated is
    o Isolated. Not readily accessible to persons unless special means for access are used.

OSHA's 1910.269 definition of Guarded is
    o Guarded. Covered, fenced, enclosed, or otherwise protected, by means of suitable covers or casings, barrier rails or screens, mats, or platforms, designed to minimize the possibility, under normal conditions, of dangerous approach or inadvertent contact by persons or objects.

One of the interpretations I saw from OSHA stated:

• 1910.269(l)(2) Interpretation: An employee who is "exposed to contact" with an energized part under this definition is still "exposed to contact" with the energized part even if insulation covers the part, the employee or both. See §1910.269(x) (defining "exposed" as not isolated or guarded; merely covering a conductor or an employee with insulation does not provide guarding or isolation).

NFPA 70E's definition of Exposed is
    • Capable of being inadvertently touched or approached nearer than a safe distance by a person. It is applied to electrical conductors or circuit parts that are not guarded, isolated or insulated.

So ..... it seems to me that OSHA says exposed is "not isolated or guarded" and NFPA 70E says exposed is "not guarded, isolated or insulated".

Quote Originally Posted by OSHA_70E_Questions View Post
    Try these definitions for OSHA - 1910.399: https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owa...ARDS&p_id=9976

Thanks! I guess OSHA has some work to do on making the definitions consistent.

However, I'm still confused by their letter of interpretation when it comes to insulation. Here's a direct link to the letter: https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/stand...ons/2010-02-03

Look at Scenario/Response #1. Appears to say that even if it's insulated it is still exposed???

Whoa! You guys are looking at two different sections of the OSHA standards, two different worlds!

.269 covers power generation, transmission and distribution. They probably don't mention insulation because those voltages often have a weather cover, not insulation.

.399 is part of Subpart S--basically the work of an inside wireman.

You can't take definitions from one and apply them to the other.

And 70E does NOT cover, according to Art. 90(B)(4), "installations under the exclusive control of an electric utility."
    Last edited by wtucker; 05-03-18 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtucker View Post
    Whoa! You guys are looking at two different sections of the OSHA standards, two different worlds!

.269 covers power generation, transmission and distribution. They probably don't mention insulation because those voltages often have a weather cover, not insulation.

.399 is part of Subpart S--basically the work of an inside wireman.

You can't take definitions from one and apply them to the other.

And 70E does NOT cover, according to Art. 90(B)(4), "installations under the exclusive control of an electric utility."
    That is from NPFA 70, I don't think it is in 70E.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

IMHO, any outdoor, insulated conductor carrying power is considered exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahib View Post
    IMHO, any outdoor, insulated conductor carrying power is considered exposed.
    What about outdoors but within raceway, cable sheath or box/cabinet?

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    What about outdoors but within raceway, cable sheath or box/cabinet?
    In such cases, won't the definition of 'isolated/guarded' apply?

Quote Originally Posted by Sahib View Post
    In such cases, won't the definition of 'isolated/guarded' apply?
    I guess. Wouldn't it apply to open bare conductors in a substation with a fence around it, for anyone outside the fence anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I guess. Wouldn't it apply to open bare conductors in a substation with a fence around it, for anyone outside the fence anyway?
    AHJ call?