old elevator parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmike

We have an old elevator we are upgrading in our office building. It is currently in working condition. The elevator is an older MG type elevator with cables and machine room at the top of the shaft. The controller is the old style relay board; probably the 60's era. There must be people out there looking for these older elevator parts so we don’t just want to scrap the relay board, the motor, or the generator. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to go about selling the parts or how to recoup some dollars? Where we can post the parts for sell? If nothing else, the motor and generator must have some value in the copper windings.

iwire

Staff member
We have an old elevator we are upgrading in our office building. It is currently in working condition. The elevator is an older MG type elevator with cables and machine room at the top of the shaft. The controller is the old style relay board; probably the 60's era. There must be people out there looking for these older elevator parts so we don’t just want to scrap the relay board, the motor, or the generator. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to go about selling the parts or how to recoup some dollars? Where we can post the parts for sell? If nothing else, the motor and generator must have some value in the copper windings.

I would scrap it all. Who wants 50 year old used elevator control parts?

By the way, often the gears in the gear box are bronze, pull them out and scrap them as well

mjmike

I have searched online and there are collectors out there. I sent an email to a couple of these websites. Good info on the gearing tho. Didn't know that

Aside from ebay, try the local elevator companies, especially the smaller ones. Most cities have one or two that specialize in maintaining older elevators for buildings that can't/won't afford to replace them.

(I remember years back when I did FA systems, almost every old system we replaced can back to the shop to be raided for parts.)

iwire

Staff member
There is no way I would install or sell for use used elevator control parts or used fire alarm parts.

Liability liability liability.

There is no way I would install or sell for use used elevator control parts or used fire alarm parts.

Do you use reconditioned/re-certified breakers? Of course with the FA parts, we'd clean and test before putting them in the spares stock, and some did end up in the can. Railroads regularly test and reuse signal components that came out of service.

Tony S

I had a strange phone call yesterday from someone that knows of my interest in old electrical gear.

Did I want the control and winding house gear from a 1930’s lift? I’m having the main oil circuit breaker the rest is going to a friends electrical museum.

cadpoint

Your missing the homework aspects as to all the engineering, like rotational speed measurements,
shear and tensile strengths load calc's, braking, safety, and that is just on the motor. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.