Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lockout Tagout and Voltage Testing

My understanding.

All OSHA requires is lockout the CB, test the on/off switch to make sure it does not start and go about changing the blade.

You can do more if you want, but OSHA does not require it.

The guy doing the blade change would need to be trained on how to perform the lockout and the blade change. Then, and only then, could he be authorized to do so.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by wtucker View Post
    I sorta think you guys are over-thinking this....
    The legally required disconnect within sight is appliance cord & plug.

Pull out cord & plug before changing blades. No LOTO needed if plug is withn sight.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Quote Originally Posted by ramsy View Post
    The legally required disconnect within sight is appliance cord & plug.
    The saw's hardwired.

Both sides of the fence

Quote Originally Posted by wtucker View Post
    The saw's hardwired.
    I have seen this from both sides of the fence. I was on the LOTO design team for a world wide manufacture.

Having worked in a plant with hundreds of machines that were locked out for clearing jams every 5 minutes, we would of went out of business having an electrician check before reaching into a machine.
    We did the throw disconnect and listen for clack, LOTO, test with on button, press off button after testing with on button, clear jam. reset and run machine. If an electrician was needed every time nothing would of ever got done.

On a machine that maintenance was being done to, we did test to ensure voltage was removed.

For the OP's question. I don't trust anything with dust ( sawdust, paper dust, ....) I have seen them start on there own due to dust conducting across buttons or switch's. I believe they still make disconnects with windows so they could SEE the blades are open, that is the only way I would feel safe with my hands on a saw blade.
    A cowboy may get thrown , but they always get up and walk forward.