Type TC usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcfjr

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
has anyone come across HVAC companies using type TC cable for power and signaling mini split units? They tie it to the lineset. is there some code section that allows this that I have yet to find?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Your Code reference would be 336.12
Mini-split wiring has been a real headache in this area as the suppliers and manufacturers instructions reference wiring methods that are not NEC compliant such as TC cables and cords.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I have heard it here that some manufacturers are selling it with their units and instructions that say to use it. TC is not supposed to be used in a house without conduit though.

I've never understood this prohibition. Romex and SE both have thinner, more fragile jackets, and you can certainly use them in residential construction. Does this ban on TC have a historical basis, or is it a matter of manufacturers just never getting the cable listed for residential use? I'm surprised someone like Southwire hasn't done this; mini-splits are becoming more and more common. You'd think they'd want to corner the market.

ScenertDriver

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I've never understood this prohibition. Romex and SE both have thinner, more fragile jackets, and you can certainly use them in residential construction. Does this ban on TC have a historical basis, or is it a matter of manufacturers just never getting the cable listed for residential use?
Thats my understanding

I'm surprised someone like Southwire hasn't done this; mini-splits are becoming more and more common. You'd think they'd want to corner the market.
ScenertDriver

They (Southwire) have addressed it. I see a lot of this now.

http://www.southwire.com/oem/ez-in.htm

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Thats my understanding

They (Southwire) have addressed it. I see a lot of this now.

http://www.southwire.com/oem/ez-in.htm

Nice product. I hadn't seen that before. It's interesting to me that no one has decided to get TC listed for residential use. I can see it being very handy in that it comes in more conductors than Romex. It could also be useful for wiring large appliances too. Large Romex looks darn similar to TC cable anyway, albeit with a thinner outer jacket.

SceneryDriver

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I've never understood this prohibition. Romex and SE both have thinner, more fragile jackets, and you can certainly use them in residential construction. Does this ban on TC have a historical basis, or is it a matter of manufacturers just never getting the cable listed for residential use? I'm surprised someone like Southwire hasn't done this; mini-splits are becoming more and more common. You'd think they'd want to corner the market.

ScenertDriver

Well I could tell you EXACTLY why someone like SW does not want Type TC used in residential applications......BUT manufacturers like Encore do....and my effort will be to try and change Article 336 in the 2020 cycle. A lot depends on the feedback from this cycle as well. However, there is no justification at all why it can't have expanded uses...it is more robust, same inners, and proven to be reliable in harsh conditions like "industrial" applications. When pressed as to a reason why some manufacturers do not want it.....clearly it is because it rivals Type SE Cable....and some manufacturers don't make Type TC....which could harm business.

So.....there....the truth actually comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.