Tankless hot H2O heater, such as Reni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

They are typically permanently connected to the water piping.

Put quick connect couplings of some sort on the water piping and it will be much closer to being considered a portable appliance.

Would they need to draw less than 7.5 amps of a 15 amp circuit? I know that it is only the exhaust fan, but does it need a designated circuit?

kwired

Electron manager
Would they need to draw less than 7.5 amps of a 15 amp circuit? I know that it is only the exhaust fan, but does it need a designated circuit?
On a multioutlet circuit yes, on a dedicated circuit no.

Add: this would be for something heating domestic hot water, if this or a similar unit were the source of central heating equipment I believe it would need to be on a dedicated circuit per 422.12.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

IMO, it is a permanently attached appliance.

It needs a dedicated circuit if the manufacturer instructions ask for a dedicated circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Are you thinking about 210.23(A)(2)? The gas Rinnai's I have seen have very little amp draw. It is nowhere near 7.5 amps

Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total
rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than
luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branchcircuit
ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plugconnected
utilization equipment not fastened in place, or
both, are also supplied.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I just look one up and it is less than 2 amps. Basically you have an igniter and some valves. If it is outdoors then there may be a freeze protection setup but that just ignites the gas and keeps the water moving thru a loop

Status
Not open for further replies.