Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grounding clip vs. ground screw.

Grounding clip vs. ground screw.

I am doing a small renovation job in which there is existing two conductor BX cable in the house with no ground except the BX cable. The building inspector wants the box grounded with the wire to the new outlets. Are those green grounding clips that clip on the edge of the box OK? Or does the boxes have to be drilled and tapped and a ground wire screwed in?

I appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredkehoe View Post
    I am doing a small renovation job in which there is existing two conductor BX cable in the house with no ground except the BX cable. The building inspector wants the box grounded with the wire to the new outlets. Are those green grounding clips that clip on the edge of the box OK? Or does the boxes have to be drilled and tapped and a ground wire screwed in?

I appreciate your help.
    the clips are UL listed for that purpose.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    the clips are UL listed for that purpose.
    OK, thank you very much for your speedy reply.

Either method will work but I would just use a self-grounding receptacle and forget the bonding jumper.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Either method will work but I would just use a self-grounding receptacle and forget the bonding jumper.
    Thats a good idea too.

It's somewhat debatable as to BX is an ECG , as it was not manufactured to be one in the first place

I'd just go with 406.4D, park a DF in the panel ,and use any old crappy receptacle outlet....

~RJ~

Quote Originally Posted by Fredkehoe View Post
    ... do the boxes have to be drilled and tapped ...
    A combination drill-tap makes it fast & easy:

Name:  354904.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  40.6 KB

In NYC even if you use self grounding receptacles you need install a ground tail to the box via a threaded screw, most supply houses around here stock 1900 boxes (4x4) steel boxes with the ground screw already installed some even with the wire to

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickelec View Post
    In NYC even if you use self grounding receptacles you need install a ground tail to the box via a threaded screw, most supply houses around here stock 1900 boxes (4x4) steel boxes with the ground screw already installed some even with the wire to

I believe that you're incorrect can you show me that code requirment?
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by nickelec View Post

That's what can give you extra 'points' to pass inspection. Not a code requirement.
    Devil in the detail is that if the box or mud ring is recessed more than 1/4" self grounding clip is not (as much) effective but grounding pigtail is. Grounding path is even worse when you replace the 6/32 screw with a longer one and install switch box extender (goof ring, add a depth adapter, collar).
    Self grounding receptacles on powder coated surface 'mulberry' covers require grounding pigtail.
    So it is just easier to install a grounding pigtail every time and tell everybody to do so around here.