Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glowing LED Lamp

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    Are you sure you're replying to the right thread/post?
    I have no idea how, but based on my own observation I saw a LED lightbar fixture glow ever so softly with the light switch off and it turned out to be a loose neutral. It was a lighting circuit not working call.
    My only guess was that there was some way the power from the circuit was making its way back through the ground possibly causing the light to glow.?.? Just guessing here

I can say as soon as I pulled the HR switch of the lighting circuit and replaced the wego on the neutral with a wire nut everything worked as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by RLyons View Post
    I have no idea how, but based on my own observation I saw a LED lightbar fixture glow ever so softly with the light switch off and it turned out to be a loose neutral. It was a lighting circuit not working call.
    My only guess was that there was some way the power from the circuit was making its way back through the ground possibly causing the light to glow.?.? Just guessing here

I can say as soon as I pulled the HR switch of the lighting circuit and replaced the wego on the neutral with a wire nut everything worked as it should.
    Sounds good.
    I just couldn't see how Wagos got in the discussion and you didn't mention anything about the LED and that confused me.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    Sounds good.
    I just couldn't see how Wagos got in the discussion and you didn't mention anything about the LED and that confused me.
    No, I want answers now!
    I didn't end up going through the whole circuit so I don't know what else was drawing on it...
    I never questioned the "why" as it was such an easy fix but this one will stay with me cause it was so unusual

Quote Originally Posted by RLyons View Post

Seems unlikely that neutral connection was the only thing causing your problem, If everything else is in good condition, the open switch interrupts any current that would make the lamp glow.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

We ran into a similar situation. Many years before the howeowner's dad had "wired" up the place.He ran the neutrals to all the switches and switched them to turn off the power to the lights.The standard light bulbs worked OK for years until they changed out the lights to CFL.All the lights in the house glowed at night with them"switched off"
    May the force be with you

Quote Originally Posted by ghostbuster View Post
    We ran into a similar situation. Many years before the howeowner's dad had "wired" up the place.He ran the neutrals to all the switches and switched them to turn off the power to the lights.The standard light bulbs worked OK for years until they changed out the lights to CFL.All the lights in the house glowed at night with them"switched off"
    I could see capacitive effects in that situation allowing enough current to get a dim glow out of LED's.

What type of dimmer rare they using?

Sometimes you need a minimum wattage on the dimmer, so the LED lights will not slow.

For example customers that require this are: Lutron maestro, Lutron radio RA2, Lutron caseta.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

180728-1049 EDT

You have to think about basics.

If you have a mechanical switch which when off has a substantial air gap relative to applied voltage, then with no parallel leakage there will be no current flow. No current flow thru an LED, then no illumination.

If an LED glows, then there is a source of current. Find it.

Your switch in the off position may not actually be an open circuit, or there may be parallel leakage.

An "illuminated switch" very well can let enough current through when in off position to get some light out of LED lamps.

Everyone is over thinking this one. Capacitive induction- common issue with LED lights that do not have a "bleed" resistor somewhere in the circuit either across the line or across the driver output. It take very little current to make LEDs glow. A switch leg or 14/3 power to a socket is more than enough to do it.
    I'm in over my head...