Thread: Glowing LED Lamp

Glowing LED Lamp

Going on a service call tomorrow where the customer states that an LED lamp slightly glows when the switch is in the off position. Any thoughts?
    Tom

" And all the science I don't understand, it's just my job five days a week "

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Last time I did a call like that it was a dimmer switch that did not have a full off and it let enough power through to make the LED glow just slightly.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Yeh same ..... those Lutron dimmers that have an air-gap switch at the bottom can do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Not first time this question has come up here - illuminated wall switch could also allow enough current to pass through when open to allow some illumination of the LED.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

After checking this out, looks like a faulty lamp. It was a 4 lamp ceiling fan light fixture and one of the lamps had a slight glow no matter which socket it was installed in. Told the HO to get new lamps. Weird............
    Tom

" And all the science I don't understand, it's just my job five days a week "

All of the 4' 'shoplight' type fixtures that I get from costco have a very slight glow when they are turned off by their built in pull switch. Unplugging them turns them off completely. I figure there is some leakage through something like an MOV across the switch, or capacitive coupling or something similar.

I remember a design project that I had with some high intensity LEDs. At the time I was surprised by how much light they produced when driven at well below the datasheet 'turn on' threshold voltage. Very little current will make an LED noticeable in a dark room.

-Jon