Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glowing LED Lamp

Glowing LED Lamp

Going on a service call tomorrow where the customer states that an LED lamp slightly glows when the switch is in the off position. Any thoughts?
    Tom

" And all the science I don't understand, it's just my job five days a week "

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Last time I did a call like that it was a dimmer switch that did not have a full off and it let enough power through to make the LED glow just slightly.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Yeh same ..... those Lutron dimmers that have an air-gap switch at the bottom can do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Not first time this question has come up here - illuminated wall switch could also allow enough current to pass through when open to allow some illumination of the LED.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

After checking this out, looks like a faulty lamp. It was a 4 lamp ceiling fan light fixture and one of the lamps had a slight glow no matter which socket it was installed in. Told the HO to get new lamps. Weird............
    Tom

" And all the science I don't understand, it's just my job five days a week "

All of the 4' 'shoplight' type fixtures that I get from costco have a very slight glow when they are turned off by their built in pull switch. Unplugging them turns them off completely. I figure there is some leakage through something like an MOV across the switch, or capacitive coupling or something similar.

I remember a design project that I had with some high intensity LEDs. At the time I was surprised by how much light they produced when driven at well below the datasheet 'turn on' threshold voltage. Very little current will make an LED noticeable in a dark room.

-Jon

lutron dimmers

or if this is on occupancy sensor.

180723-2032 EDT

A/A Fuel GTX:

You do not have a defective bulb. You have not found the cause of the problem.

If there is no current to the bulb, then there will be no light. Somehow sufficient current gets to the bulb when you think it is turned off.

My first experience with one of these not long ago and it was a loose neutral....My wrists love em' but you can keep your wego's

Quote Originally Posted by RLyons View Post
    My first experience with one of these not long ago and it was a loose neutral....My wrists love em' but you can keep your wego's
    Are you sure you're replying to the right thread/post?
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!