Thread: Commercial Projects: When are permits needed?

Commercial Projects: When are permits needed?

Hi everyone.

Is there a single source (nationally) that can give me information on what kind of work require a permit? Looking at a 1-for-1 fixture change out in a commercial space and trying to understand if I need a licensed electrician to pull a permit for this work.

Any help is appreciated.

The requirements are by local and state rules, there is no National standard.

Roger

Roger is correct - such rules vary from one place to another. If the property across the street from you happens to be in a different jurisdiction they could have a different rule then what applies to you for what you are asking about. Your answer is dependent on who the AHJ is at your location.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

That would be a dream come true .

I do work in three counties. One of the counties actually has 13 different jurisdictions. Each of the 13 has their own permit office, forms, rules, and inspectors. I would just like to have one jurisdiction per county. (One of three does have one jurisdiction, the last one has four.) I know having uniform rules across the entire state is a pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    That would be a dream come true .

I do work in three counties. One of the counties actually has 13 different jurisdictions. Each of the 13 has their own permit office, forms, rules, and inspectors. I would just like to have one jurisdiction per county. (One of three does have one jurisdiction, the last one has four.) I know having uniform rules across the entire state is a pipe dream.
    CA technically has the same rules for permits across the State , enforcement is a whole different item.