Receptacles on Temp Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a free-standing temporary service, basically some 2X6's with a 1/2 sheet of plywood, a few 2X4 braces and a 100 amp service. Below the panel is two receptacles mounted at 48". Inspector said that they're required to be tamper resistant. I say no, opinions?

mwm1752

WR with HD cover -- like to see the code for exterior recept to be TP -- would agree that all the WR i've seen look like TP

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
How did you manage to install the temporary service in one of the locations where 406.12 requires TR receptacles?:)

eprice

If the project in question is at a single family home, I suspect the code reference that he is using is from the International Residential Code, Section E4002.14. If the jurisdiction has adopted the IRC, this section, rather than the NEC will probably govern the requirement for tamper resistant receptacles. The IRC electrical section and the NEC are supposed to be equivalent, but this is one example where they differ. The IRC does require tamper resistant receptacles outdoors. However, under the IRC I think it is a stretch to apply this requirement to a temporary service that will not be present when the home is completed.

david

If the project in question is at a single family home, I suspect the code reference that he is using is from the International Residential Code, Section E4002.14. If the jurisdiction has adopted the IRC, this section, rather than the NEC will probably govern the requirement for tamper resistant receptacles. The IRC electrical section and the NEC are supposed to be equivalent, but this is one example where they differ. The IRC does require tamper resistant receptacles outdoors. However, under the IRC I think it is a stretch to apply this requirement to a temporary service that will not be present when the home is completed.

I did not see outdoors listed in E3901.2 which E3901.1 sends you to. " in every kitchen, family room, dinning room, living room, parlor, library, den, sun room, bedroom, recreation room, or similar rooms or area of dwelling units"

jumper

I did not see outdoors listed in E3901.2 which E3901.1 sends you to. " in every kitchen, family room, dinning room, living room, parlor, library, den, sun room, bedroom, recreation room, or similar rooms or area of dwelling units"

Er, Dave....see Don's post. The temp service is likely not in an area that requires TR recs.

Unless Rob planted it in a house or a day care center.:)

Prolly not.

mgookin

It's also not a dwelling unit. It's a construction site.

It will be a dwelling unit after it gets a CO and your temp svc will be gone by then.

david

...................... The IRC electrical section and the NEC are supposed to be equivalent, but this is one example where they differ. The IRC does require tamper resistant receptacles outdoors. ................................

Er, Dave....see Don's post. The temp service is likely not in an area that requires TR recs.

Unless Rob planted it in a house or a day care center.:)

Prolly not.

I was only saying that I do not see the requirement in the IRC for tamper resistant being different than the NEC. I do not believe the inspector was referencing E4002.14 of the international residential code.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's also not a dwelling unit. It's a construction site.

It will be a dwelling unit after it gets a CO and your temp svc will be gone by then.

Yes that's it, noting more than a foundation on which a house once sat. The temp service is at the corner of the lot near the pole, no dwelling unit in sight. :roll:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The inspector was probably thinking WR and assumed TR also. There is no reason for a temp service to be TR but it must be WR and now they want extra duty covers on the bubble covers

406.9(B)(1) Receptacles of 15 and 20 Amperes in a Wet Location.
Receptacles of 15 and 20 amperes, 125 and 250 volts
installed in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is
weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is
inserted. An outlet box hood installed for this purpose shall
be listed and shall be identified as “extra duty.” All 15- and
20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking-type receptacles
shall be listed weather-resistant type.

Status
Not open for further replies.