LED vs Incandescent in recessed fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

The recessed housings I use for sloped ceilings have the trim listed in the can along with the incandescent lamp wattage. If an LED lamp is used what determines the wattage equivalent that can be used?
Seems that with the LED's operating so much cooler you could use a bulb(provided style is correct) that offers greater lumen output. Any thoughts?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The recessed housings I use for sloped ceilings have the trim listed in the can along with the incandescent lamp wattage. If an LED lamp is used what determines the wattage equivalent that can be used?
Seems that with the LED's operating so much cooler you could use a bulb(provided style is correct) that offers greater lumen output. Any thoughts?
Unfortunately the limit on the LED (or CFL) you can install is not based on the specifications of the can but rather the ventilation requirements of the LED or CFL and its driver circuitry.
As long as they stay cool enough (cooler than allowed for an incandescent lamp) they can have a higher lumen output than the equivalent max power incandescent under the labeling.

But I have not seen useful standards or tables telling me which LEDs can tolerate which temperatures nor what temperature will exist inside a particular can at any specific wattage.
In the case of LEDs with fins on the bulb, much of the cooling may take place outside the can itself.

nizak

I am going to contact Juno Lighting Tech Support tomorrow and see if they have any particulars as to what LED lamps can be used with their IC 928 housing and corresponding trims.

JFletcher

I am going to contact Juno Lighting Tech Support tomorrow and see if they have any particulars as to what LED lamps can be used with their IC 928 housing and corresponding trims.

If you dont mind, or think about it, ask them if LEDs can be installed at all in their older cans. Came across one last week that had a big warning sticker on it that basically read something like "installing anything other than Juno trim ring voids warranty".

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
If you dont mind, or think about it, ask them if LEDs can be installed at all in their older cans. Came across one last week that had a big warning sticker on it that basically read something like "installing anything other than Juno trim ring voids warranty".

They all say that now, but you can still use a Juno trim and an LED lamp. It's the retro-fit led trim kit that might not be allowed. Also, what kind of warranty are they really giving you?

At one point I thought Halo and Juno were the same company. I think I saw both names on a box of recessed lighting.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They all say that now, but you can still use a Juno trim and an LED lamp. It's the retro-fit led trim kit that might not be allowed.
That's Juno's way of locking you into using their expensive trims instead of the Atlite knock-off trims.

gar

Occupation
EE
151007-1017 EDT

The materials in an incandescent bulb can tolerate relatively high temperatures without failure. A small amount of the power input to an incandescent is radiated as visible light, a very large amount as IR radiation (these two components do not affect can temperature very much), and a moderatel amount of input power is output as conducted heat.

The materials in an LED are quite limited in maximum temperature. Probably should be kept under 50-70 C (122-158 F) for good life. The percent of LED input energy that is output in the visible spectrum is high, and is low in the IR range, but high in the conducted range. An insulated and confined space is not good for removal of conducted heat energy.

For a comparable amount of light output you need to put about 6 times more power in to an incndescent compared to an LED. But this does not mean you will get good LED life in a fixture designed for a 60 W incandescent with a 10 W LED installed.

Some temperature rise measurements I made a while ago are described in post 10 of http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=160447&highlight=led+temperature+rise+in+a+can+fixture .

Status
Not open for further replies.