Extension Cords and NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Of course it does, at least to every AHJ I have run into.

take a close look at 590.4 (b) and (C).

what extension cord falls into any of the permitted temporary wiring systems? for the most part they can't. therefore if they are allowed at all they can't be part of 590.

iwire

Staff member
take a close look at 590.4 (b) and (C).

what extension cord falls into any of the permitted temporary wiring systems? for the most part they can't. therefore if they are allowed at all they can't be part of 590.

I respect your opinion but I can promise you that is not how most AHJs feel and you would not prevail in this area of the country.

JFletcher

I think it would violate 400.8(1), using them as a substitute for fixed wiring. Are the tables frequently moved? If not, and the owner is going to put troughs and grill covers in the floor for the extension cords, why not just hardwire the appropriate outlets to the tables?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I respect your opinion but I can promise you that is not how most AHJs feel and you would not prevail in this area of the country.

I tend to agree that a lot of inspectors would not agree with the clear language of the text, but the AHJ would eventually have to reverse the inspector's claim that it is a violation.

iwire

Staff member
I tend to agree that a lot of inspectors would not agree with the clear language of the text, but the AHJ would eventually have to reverse the inspector's claim that it is a violation.

No, that is not going to happen, that view will be held up to the top.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Is it an extension cord

Is it an extension cord

Is he talking about using real extension cords or are they talking about the POWER cords. If extension cord I see as a no go this is in a commercial or industrial setting. My fire inspector won't allow it for powering anything permanent.

peter d

15 years ago I ran a 3/4" and 1.5" from the garage to house. They are waiting underground at each foundation. :lol:

BBQ dinner on me if you complete it in the next 5 years.....I know it won't happen so I'll never be buying that dinner. :thumbsup::lol:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Full disclosure here, my own garage has been supplied by an extension cord for at least ten years. :p
And I celebrate holidays the year round.

I did finally get an outdoor outlet installed next to my grill out on my deck after 10+ years of having a "temporary" extension cord run from another outlet.

norcal

Full disclosure here, my own garage has been supplied by an extension cord for at least ten years. :p

......And the shoemakers children go without shoes. :lol: There is a receptacle in my kitchen that has not worked since 1994, + a couple flying splices in the wall, that was supposed to fixed around Christmas time of that year, which would meant GFCI protection in the kitchen too... All three of those issues are related.

Status
Not open for further replies.