Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exits Feed from Normal Panel

I would think that 517.2 Life safety Branch definition would apply to the exit lights on the Essential Electrical System.

So.. what's the local lighting ckt origin? I would think that's the answer. Whether against code would be a definition of the space.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KnightPower View Post
    So.. what's the local lighting ckt origin? I would think that's the answer. Whether against code would be a definition of the space.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Whether or not they are required to be illuminated when normal power is lost also would come into this.

I think it is pretty common to put them on with local lighting, but these are not necessarily the same thing as emergency lighting either. Sometimes exit signs aren't even required to be illuminated, just a placard is acceptable, lighted signs often get installed anyway.

Op never mentioned whether this is a hospital, if not the mentioned 517 article doesn't apply though OP did mention life safety, which may or may not mean a hospital is involved.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Whether or not they are required to be illuminated when normal power is lost also would come into this.

I think it is pretty common to put them on with local lighting, but these are not necessarily the same thing as emergency lighting either. Sometimes exit signs aren't even required to be illuminated, just a placard is acceptable, lighted signs often get installed anyway.

Op never mentioned whether this is a hospital, if not the mentioned 517 article doesn't apply though OP did mention life safety, which may or may not mean a hospital is involved.
    The OP did state it was a hospital. IMO the exit signs are required to be supplied by the life safety system per 517.33

517.33 Life Safety Branch. No functions other than those
    listed in 517.33(A) through (H) shall be connected to the life
    safety branch. The life safety branch of the essential electrical
    system shall supply power for the following lighting, receptacles,
    and equipment.

(B) Exit Signs. Exit signs and exit directional signs.

Quote Originally Posted by packersparky View Post
    The OP did state it was a hospital.
    Oops' not even that long of an OP, and I read right over it when trying to decide to make that reply
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by dkidd View Post
    Exit signs are not unit equipment.
    Sure they are, look at "Exits" in the index and notice it takes you to 700.12(F), 700.16, as well as 517 sections.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Have exits feed from normal panel in hospital. There is no ATS feeding panel. Find it a little odd an maybe even against code that they are fed from normal panel. Think it's considered life safety.
    Correct. Per 517.33 they have to be supplied by the life safety system. They cannot be supplied by the normal system.