Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Lowes Porch

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Clarkesville, Georgia
    Posts
    2,213

    Lowes Porch

    I remembered lots of negative comments but search showed 3 years ago

    Anyone having positive results?
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    16,935
    I have tried several of these services as a consumer and most times I don't even get a call back.

    The couple times I got a call back the guys said they would come out and take a look and give me a quote but neither showed up.

    Gave me a real bad taste for such services.

    I have pretty much gone back to relying on personal recommendations from friends and acquaintances.

    OTOH, several people I know have used the HD version of this fairly recently and seemed satisfied.
    Bob

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,768
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I have tried several of these services as a consumer and most times I don't even get a call back.

    The couple times I got a call back the guys said they would come out and take a look and give me a quote but neither showed up.

    Gave me a real bad taste for such services.

    I have pretty much gone back to relying on personal recommendations from friends and acquaintances.

    OTOH, several people I know have used the HD version of this fairly recently and seemed satisfied.
    I guess that's why when I immediately call a lead I get through porch I usually make a sale assuming they were serious in the first place.

    You will get people who are not serious and waste your time. There are usually red flags you hear so you can sort them out. You will also get people who call at 3am.

    ETA: The secret to not getting screwed on fees is to limit the jobs you will accept to one or more high value job types. That way when people call you for piddly stuff, you can get a refund based on the call not matching your acceptable job types.
    Last edited by Coppersmith; 05-07-18 at 04:26 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    16,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    You will get people who are not serious and waste your time.
    I don't know if it is so much that they are not serious but they have no idea what a project is going to cost and have no idea how to go about even estimating it. When they find out what a project might cost them, they decide they don't really need to do it after all.
    Bob

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,768
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I don't know if it is so much that they are not serious but they have no idea what a project is going to cost and have no idea how to go about even estimating it. When they find out what a project might cost them, they decide they don't really need to do it after all.
    That is one type of time waster. You can usually screen them out with a few questions and a look at their house on Google maps or Zillow.

    There are others including: real estate agents who will ask you to estimate a job they have no intention of buying; and people who call to ask questions about a DIY they are doing.

    ETA: And amazingly, people who submit a request and then never answer their phone or return a call or email.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    38,252
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I don't know if it is so much that they are not serious but they have no idea what a project is going to cost and have no idea how to go about even estimating it. When they find out what a project might cost them, they decide they don't really need to do it after all.
    I don't mind consulting with them and giving them ideas on what it may cost - but certainly don't want to have to pay a third party just to have that conversation. If there is only a fee if a contract is executed, that is ok.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,768
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    If there is only a fee if a contract is executed, that is ok.
    None of the lead services work that way to my knowledge. If anyone knows of one that does, let me know. I'll sign up.

    "Google local" gives out a tracking phone number so people can call me directly, then they charge me $18 when someone calls. I've had all sorts of none money-making calls including people calling to ask for a job. Most of these calls I can get a refund for, but it takes time to do it. On the positive side, I'm the number one listing on Google search in my local area.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    38,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    None of the lead services work that way to my knowledge.
    Never used any such services, but don't surprise me. They are in the pimping business, it is about making money and nothing else.

    Don't sound like a service I am interested in. Even if I were in a metro area, still don't think I would be interested.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,768
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Never used any such services, but don't surprise me. They are in the pimping business, it is about making money and nothing else.

    Don't sound like a service I am interested in. Even if I were in a metro area, still don't think I would be interested.
    It's a form of advertising and like most advertising it costs money. Nothing wrong with that. They make money advertising my services. I make money from the calls that come in. I have gotten many good jobs from these services. They certainly could be better at filtering the leads, but I'd rather qualify them myself than not have the phone ring at all.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,749
    We've declared a moratorium on any big box, national maintenance, lead generation, and/or internet based 3rd party anything

    ~RJ~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •