Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: PVC Duct Bank

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,029

    PVC Duct Bank

    if i have pvc conduits below grade that are stubbing up into the bottom of switchgear on grade would they transition to rgs or similar when stubbing into the gear. would imagine you cant stub up through grade slab and into gear with pvc. i know spec usually dictates but i was curious of others experience. thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Eastern Oregon
    Posts
    3,532
    Do they let you do site visits to the jobs you bid?

    A picture being worth a thousand words, a site visit and regular talks with foremen would be priceless in your situation.

    To answer your question, stubbing up into gear with pvc is extremely common.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    819
    If the specs require it...why do you even ask?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow View Post
    Do they let you do site visits to the jobs you bid?

    A picture being worth a thousand words, a site visit and regular talks with foremen would be priceless in your situation.

    To answer your question, stubbing up into gear with pvc is extremely common.

    Thanks thought one would never stub up into gear with PVC.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Thanks thought one would never stub up into gear with PVC.

    Why?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Eastern Oregon
    Posts
    3,532
    Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    Why?
    Because he's an estimator with no field experience, apparently can't ask anyone on site, and he doesn't know his way around the NEC to look for himself?????

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow View Post
    Because he's an estimator with no field experience, apparently can't ask anyone on site, and he doesn't know his way around the NEC to look for himself?????
    niiiice

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,029
    Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    Why?
    Because every spec I've read says no PVC within footprint of building...except this one.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    16,794
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Because every spec I've read says no PVC within footprint of building...except this one.
    You might be able to get some dispensation to stub UG PVC into floor mounted gear. maybe they would be more amenable to it if you agreed to use sch 80 where it pops up into the gear.

    personally, unless it is a huge amount of money involved, I don't like asking for variations from the spec. I'd be inclined to just run the last few feet of conduit that goes into the gear as rigid.

    most places though, there are conduits that come out of the floor and are exposed and I am not real thrilled with exposed and vulnerable PVC, even when it is in compliance with the code.
    Bob

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    23,623
    Even if you are permitted to use a PVC 90, you have to take a look at the pull to see if it will be likely that the pull rope will cut though the PVC at the 90 and result in damaged conductors. If it will be a short easy pull, not an issue, but it is an issue on long difficult pulls.
    Don, Illinois
    Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity. Dr. Rick Rigsby
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •