Is Aluminum OK for Branch Circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lbartowski

I'm working on a remodel project. The owner is trying to avoid gutting the entire space by keeping some of the existing walls so as to save money. This would require is tying our new circuits into the existing. This existing wiring is a black romex type cable but it contains aluminum conductors. The inspector says it has to come out. The owner wants a specific code section that references that AL wire cannot be used for branch circuits.

Although I know AL for branch circuits is frowned upon and not used today as far as I know, but I can't find anything in the code that specifically restricts it. :?

Thanks for the help.

ron

You will find it hard to find a code section (other than maybe in a local jurisdiction amendment) that prohibits AL conductors #12's and larger. See Table 310.15(B)(16)

Are they #12's minimum?

jumper

I'm working on a remodel project. The owner is trying to avoid gutting the entire space by keeping some of the existing walls so as to save money. This would require is tying our new circuits into the existing. This existing wiring is a black romex type cable but it contains aluminum conductors. The inspector says it has to come out. The owner wants a specific code section that references that AL wire cannot be used for branch circuits.

Although I know AL for branch circuits is frowned upon and not used today as far as I know, but I can't find anything in the code that specifically restricts it. :?

Thanks for the help.

Nothing specifically prohibits, but connectors, devices, etc must be listed for AL. Most people seem to splice, using AL to CU connectors, to copper wire before terminating.

peter d

I don't see how an inspector can force the removal of a wiring method that was once compliant. That's completely overstepping his bounds, and is why people like myself have such disdain for the inspection process.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The inspector may not be able to demand replacement of AL wire but the homeowner's insurance company can.

I don't go crazy over AL wire but in a remodel where any walls are opened up I would get rid of it and I would not tie onto it to extend a circuit.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Doesn't it make a difference how old the wiring is? Aluminum wiring today is a different alloy than that installed in the 70's.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
by the time you screw around with changing out the boxes to make them large enough for the connectors to attach the copper pigtails, you might as well just run new romex. most cases for remodeling you can just fish it and leave the old stuff in place.

Cavie

Unless you like playing the role of hero, I would just agree with the inspector ( he is wrong) and rewire the whole place and sleep good at night or walk away. Trying to make the transition is costly.

kwired

Electron manager
The inspector may not be able to demand replacement of AL wire but the homeowner's insurance company can.

I don't go crazy over AL wire but in a remodel where any walls are opened up I would get rid of it and I would not tie onto it to extend a circuit.
+1:thumbsup:

May want to go ahead and install some Zinsco or FPE breakers while at it that way if the aluminum conductor itself doesn't cause a problem down the road maybe the breakers will:)

It may matter if it is 14 AWG otherwise I do not think so.
Did they even make 14 AWG? If so there must have been some application where it was permitted, it just wouldn't have been for 15 amp or higher general purpose power and lighting.

user 100

+1:thumbsup:

Did they even make 14 AWG? If so there must have been some application where it was permitted, it just wouldn't have been for 15 amp or higher general purpose power and lighting.

Probably the only 14 awg solid permitted in was the reduced size egc that would have been present in pre 1969 AL nm- I've never that size for AL cccs in that old cable though.

Status
Not open for further replies.