Running conduit thru HDPE, under parking space

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyrzk

The contractor is suggesting the use of HDPE in lieu of PVC, to go across a path of the parking lot in a project we are working on. He mentioned not using the PVC conduit under the ground , so he doesn't need to saw cut.

Should I have any concern? how does it transition from conduit to HDPE and back to conduit?, please let me know what you think.

Thanks

this is what he wrote:
To prevent sawing and cutting of paving, the electrician intends to use directional boring method to run the feeder from Genset to the transfer Switch. Please confirm the use of HDPE for conduit in lieu of PVC is acceptable.

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
There are transition fittings to go from HDPE to PVC. There are two articles in chapter 3, one on HDPE and a similar NUCC, so review those first.
Since its not open cut and can't be inspected, run this by your AHJ.

dannyrzk

There are transition fittings to go from HDPE to PVC. There are two articles in chapter 3, one on HDPE and a similar NUCC, so review those first.
Since its not open cut and can't be inspected, run this by your AHJ.

Tom, article 355, does clarify how to respond. I must admit, and I know it shows, but this the first time, I see the use of HDPE in lieu of PVC.

Thank You!

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Tom, article 355, does clarify how to respond. I must admit, and I know it shows, but this the first time, I see the use of HDPE in lieu of PVC.
A main advantage of HDPE is that it usually comes in large coils or on large reels and lengthy ones if need be. There are no "sticks". Works great for directional boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.