Thread: 250.24(A)(1) Bonding the grounded conductor.

250.24(A)(1) Bonding the grounded conductor.

We work with multiple POCO's. One will have you bond the grounded conductor in the meter can, another will forbid it. My question is, if we are asked to bond the grounded conductor inside the meter can, are we still obligated to bond the grounded conductor at the main disconnect? Are we permitted to do it? Is it optional? 250.24(A)(1) seems to say it can be done at either location, to and including the the terminal or bus at the main. Am I interpreting that correctly to assume I need to still bond the neutral to the GEC at the main service disconnect?
    Last edited by AV8R; 05-09-18 at 03:55 PM.

Most meter sockets are designed so that they automatically bond the grounded conductor due to the neutral "buss" being mounted to the can itself. 250.24 still requires you bond the service disconnect. Depending on the wiring method you may actually set up a "objectionable" current but this is accepted by practice.

Your question seems to be discussing the connection of a grounding electrode, not bonding. Unless POCO has a rule, that connection can be made at the meter or service disconnect. IMHO, the connection to a particular electrode should only originate at one of those locations to prevent objectionable flow (other electrodes can connection to the other location)
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    Most meter sockets are designed so that they automatically bond the grounded conductor due to the neutral "buss" being mounted to the can itself. 250.24 still requires you bond the service disconnect. Depending on the wiring method you may actually set up a "objectionable" current but this is accepted by practice.

Your question seems to be discussing the connection of a grounding electrode, not bonding. Unless POCO has a rule, that connection can be made at the meter or service disconnect. IMHO, the connection to a particular electrode should only originate at one of those locations to prevent objectionable flow (other electrodes can connection to the other location)
    I probably didn't ask the question correctly. We were asked by POCO to attach a grounding electrode to the meter can from a ground rod, and the neutral is also bonded to the meter can at that point. In addition, we still installed all of our grounding at the main disconnect; water main, building steel, concrete encased electrode, ETC. My foreman opted to leave out the bonding jumper between the neutral bar and the equipment ground, just like we would at a sub panel. I asked him to install the jumper at the main, after I inspected the panel. Now I'm second guessing myself and looking for confirmation or correction.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AV8R View Post
    I probably didn't ask the question correctly. We were asked by POCO to attach a grounding electrode to the meter can from a ground rod, and the neutral is also bonded to the meter can at that point. In addition, we still installed all of our grounding at the main disconnect; water main, building steel, concrete encased electrode, ETC. My foreman opted to leave out the bonding jumper between the neutral bar and the equipment ground, just like we would at a sub panel. I asked him to install the jumper at the main, after I inspected the panel. Now I'm second guessing myself and looking for confirmation or correction.
    Thanks!
    You were good up to the bold part. You need an MBJ at the panel.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    You were good up to the bold part. You need an MBJ at the panel.
    That's what I thought, thanks. No matter how many grounding Continuing Ed classes I've taken, I feel like there's so much still to learn about a seemingly small subject, bonding and grounding.