Thread: Temp Power

Temp Power

So have a situation where we are working in a new small building( 1 story building) next to a big 10 story building. Have to put a 150a temp panel in the new small buildings for construction. Thinking I can grab power from an electric closet in the existing building. Problem is we can’t survey the existing building. Questions:

1. There may be a chance there is not a 150A to pull from in the extg. bldg., correct?
    2. If there is available power how would that be accomplished to tap into? Assuming too many variables/scenarios.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think there is no where near enough info to answer your question with any certainty.

Since you can't survey the existing building there is no way to even know if you can tap into an existing source or if it is even practical.

Making the tap is pretty easy. You just use the normal means of connecting. The easiest way would be adding a 150A breaker to an existing panelboard. Keep in mind that no matter what you do it will require some kind of shutdown for you to connect up to the existing system.

Can't you get the POCO to give you a temp service?
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I think there is no where near enough info to answer your question with any certainty.

Since you can't survey the existing building there is no way to even know if you can tap into an existing source or if it is even practical.

Making the tap is pretty easy. You just use the normal means of connecting. The easiest way would be adding a 150A breaker to an existing panelboard. Keep in mind that no matter what you do it will require some kind of shutdown for you to connect up to the existing system.

Can't you get the POCO to give you a temp service?
    Thanks and POCO can possibly provide.

Another question is do they need 150 amps? When my house was built 20 years ago, the contractor ran a 12-2 nm to the neighbor's panel. Supplied everything he needed, and that was before so many cordless tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbqranch View Post
    Another question is do they need 150 amps? When my house was built 20 years ago, the contractor ran a 12-2 nm to the neighbor's panel. Supplied everything he needed, and that was before so many cordless tools.
    doesn't matter...they asked for 150A

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    So have a situation where we are working in a new small building( 1 story building) next to a big 10 story building. Have to put a 150a temp panel in the new small buildings for construction. Thinking I can grab power from an electric closet in the existing building. Problem is we can’t survey the existing building. Questions:

1. There may be a chance there is not a 150A to pull from in the extg. bldg., correct?
    2. If there is available power how would that be accomplished to tap into? Assuming too many variables/scenarios.
    If they won't let you survey the building, what makes you think you can tap power out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Have to put a 150a temp panel in the new small buildings for construction.

Temp power doesn't always mean what people think it does. It doesn't have to be a temp power pole.

You may be able to energize a panel in the building under construction as temp power. You may be able to go ahead and build the service and make it hot as temp power.

Temp power means the electrical service has not passed the final inspection and is not permanent so the EC has to sign that he will be responsible for this power use until it does pass inspection or for a limited amount time.

You really need an electrician on site to see what will be the easiest way to get temp power.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.