Home Inspection report "double taps"

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I know, but a person who stopped posting is different from an account getting banned. If he got banned the word "banned" would appear below his name.

Not necessarily.

Roger

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
While despite your attempts to put blame on MD, he is a well respected moderator on Electrician talk. MD (and others) isnt some guy who was booted off HI sites just because he could not get along. I was there and know the story on those HI sites. And yes Iwire was also there at one point but I cant see him agreeing as usual.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Marc, was a respected member here but he and the forum parted ways, that's the end of the story. If anyone wants to you can ask him what happened.

Roger

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
So you want to talk HI's.

About 1/2 the states have zero HI benchmarks right now

The 'compliant' stats that follow suit are , imho, even more dismal.

I'd say maybe .5% -1.5% of my states dwellings are compliant to nfpa 101 at best.

And HI's? Well, they're the first to insist on specifics, as well as the first to insist they are not 'Code Inspectors'

I.E.~ "I wrote up a 'bad' but won't cite an nfpa code for it.

They take all my patience , either in my biz reality, or on line.

The best advice i can give you, especially if you're an EC, is to NOT simply follow their 'fix it' list.

Do their bidding, invoice out with specifics not addressed'

That's right, you heard (read) me, DO NOT just pass by those glaring electrical no-no's to fix the double tapped SqD QO (listed for it)

WRITE THEM UP FOR YOUR OWN LIABILITY"S SAKE

~RJ~

FREEBALL

home insp. a joke when we bought our home he never mentioned half of the house was ungrounded, only the kitchen recpt. which was a gfi, he only noted the home wiring should be updated. Well that could be left for a lot of interpretation. Said panel was new and no issues but failed to see the ahole that installed it, without permit, inspection or even Met ED knowledge of the upgrade, couldn't fit the neutral in the lug and half the strands of the neutral are sticking out and not in the lug. Now back to the house both bathrooms, incl. lights and exhaust fans and a bedroom and dining room are on same circuit.

Now the service drop was not installed the same person that installed the panel found the old screwin clevis was not strong enough so he wrapped another length of bare neutral from seu cable around the phone screwin clevis. so I will be fixing that but im not sure if I do that first or replace the rotted sill plate that he did not mention. Oh but he said it was stated there was water in the basement once. Well once doesn't tell me that a 20 ft section is completely rotted.

In all I don't know how these people are trained or if they even need to be but they should. I asked my code inspector about this and he said it does go unregulated.

thanx

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
In all I don't know how these people are trained or if they even need to be but they should. I asked my code inspector about this and he said it does go unregulated.

thanx

The last certified person to view/report/work on a home before it's sale is basically litigant RED MEAT

Trust me on this.....

~RJ~

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Off-topic, but....

Id think bans are permanent...
In a vBulletin-based system bans can be temporary of varying length, and the default entry in the dropdown in the ban flow used by Moderators is 7 days.
What is actually used regularly is a matter of the procedures followed by the Mods and Admins.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
It was none of anyone's business then and it still is not now.

But your insistence that you know more about this than the mods is pretty darn entertaining. :D

I never said I knew more then the mods. I was asking them if anything (because I genuinely dont know how banning works here), rather then being assertive. I may not know what happened to other members here, but I for a fact know what took place on those HI forums 9 years ago because I saw it first hand. Therefore I will speak about what I know first hand.

Either way the atmosphere has changed and HI forums are more open to electrical discussions of all sorts in 2015.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Off-topic, but....

In a vBulletin-based system bans can be temporary of varying length, and the default entry in the dropdown in the ban flow used by Moderators is 7 days.
What is actually used regularly is a matter of the procedures followed by the Mods and Admins.

Ahhh, good point, mods on other forums do have that option.

iwire

Staff member
I never said I knew more then the mods.

You claimed he was not banned, a mod told you that was incorrect. You continued insisting you where correct. 'Nuff said' :D

, but I for a fact know what took place on those HI forums 9 years ago because I saw it first hand. Therefore I will speak about what I know first hand.

And you assume I was not there. :)

I don't know what Mark or how you were treated at HI forums had a darn thing to do with this thread but don't let me slow you down.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
You claimed he was not banned, a mod told you that was incorrect. You continued insisting you where correct. 'Nuff said' :D

As of right now he is not. I could be wrong, but other members with a permanent ban seem to say "banned" under their name on MH. Correct me if I am wrong.

And you assume I was not there. :)

I never said that or assumed. You were on Nachi under the name of "bob badger", posted pics of services and frequently and chated code with "Paul Abernathy." There was Jeffrey too.

I don't know what Mark or how you were treated at HI forums had a darn thing to do with this thread but don't let me slow you down.

You said it was untrue. Ok maybe it was when you posted on HI sites, but when I did 9 years ago it was very different on all of them. Inspection News, Inspector's journal, ect,ect.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
This needs to change. With some homes being DIY for all of eternity before and after the buy an HI is really the last and only chance to call out defects in a home.
Not completely true. A buyer can always ask for (and pay for, of course) reports by various trades and even structural engineers.
The seller does not have to go along with that and the buyers recourse is to not buy. Or the inspections can be done as part of escrow.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Not completely true. A buyer can always ask for (and pay for, of course) reports by various trades and even structural engineers.
The seller does not have to go along with that and the buyers recourse is to not buy. Or the inspections can be done as part of escrow.

In reality no one asks that question. Majority of the buyers/sellers take the inspector's word and thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.