Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 70

Thread: Power Distribution At Residential Level Understanding

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,119
    Phoo to the distainers.

    He asked a question. Move along. Hard to judge much of anything based on such limited interaction.

    Now if a pattern developes that might be interesting and worth noting but good grief already.

    That said, I find the lack of knowledge from some recent grads interesting. Not sure if theory is being stressed as much or what. Hardly enough info to make a complete assessment. But thinking back, I was green as grass when I got out of school as well and probably asked plenty of silly questions.

    I think it might be interesting to look into what some of these recent grads actually covered. I know they had AC, DC, physics, motors, etc as I looked over the classes but not any of the actual material covered. How they progress when tasked with OJT stuff might be informative. If they stall or things don't click like they should then perhaps there is a loss of fundamental teaching.

    I also find that those with drive to dig in and learn more tend to excel and those that don't just never contribute greatly. The cream rises to the top as they say.
    BB+/BB=?

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    9,784
    Quote Originally Posted by mivey View Post
    The cream rises to the top as they say.
    So does pond scum.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,049
    Quote Originally Posted by myspark View Post
    Multiple wrongs don't make a right.
    are you the judge as to which position is 'wrong' ?
    obviously it could not be YOUR position lol

    no right or wrong here, just opinion

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    19,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingenieur View Post

    no right or wrong here, just opinion
    Well, that's your opinion.
    Matters of theory may involve facts, about which statements which can be right or wrong.


    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    9,784
    When I made the transition from semiconductors to renewable energy after 20+ years of being out of school and working on low voltage DC designs and failure analysis, I joined this forum to help me get up to speed with AC systems. I asked some pretty simple questions at first. I sure as hell am glad that I didn't get belittled for asking questions that some of you seem to feel would indicate that I didn't go to a good school or work very hard in earning my degree, neither of which is true.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,049
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Well, that's your opinion.
    Matters of theory may involve facts, about which statements which can be right or wrong.


    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    the subject was subjective, not objective
    opinion vs fact

    theory is not fact until cooborated, verified and/or proven via experimentation
    until then it only intended to explain 'facts'

  7. #57
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    SCV Ca, USA
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingenieur View Post
    are you the judge as to which position is 'wrong' ?
    obviously it could not be YOUR position lol

    no right or wrong here, just opinion
    Hold on to your horses.

    You are deluding yourself as well as other responders by bringing an argument purporting to establish a particular conclusion that is directed to proving a different conclusion . . . your own conclusion.

    No one is arguing about what everyone had presented in terms of the validity, and correctness of the engineering principles. This is about a behavior designed to demean engineers. And thus, for the sake of fostering professional conduct. . . is not acceptable

    So, your hacked statement “there is no right or wrong” is out of place.

    You can't bake your cake and eat it too.

    You are a committing a logical fallacy:ignoratio elenchi.
    An irrelevant conclusion with an attempt to mislead. . .but I'm not here to get misled yet.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by myspark View Post
    Hold on to your horses.

    You are deluding yourself as well as other responders by bringing an argument purporting to establish a particular conclusion that is directed to proving a different conclusion . . . your own conclusion.

    No one is arguing about what everyone had presented in terms of the validity, and correctness of the engineering principles. This is about a behavior designed to demean engineers. And thus, for the sake of fostering professional conduct. . . is not acceptable

    So, your hacked statement “there is no right or wrong” is out of place.

    You can't bake your cake and eat it too.

    You are a committing a logical fallacy:ignoratio elenchi.
    An irrelevant conclusion with an attempt to mislead. . .but I'm not here to get misled yet.
    No joke, all his comments so far have been along these lines.

    He can't logically back up the claims he makes, so he just rambles some irrelevant idiom and pretends to take the high road. There is no point in trying to add logic to argument at this point. On top of that, he seems to be very stuck in his ways.

    Regardless, I'm glad there are those willing to share experience of being in my shoes. Its encouraging, to say the least.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,049
    Quote Originally Posted by myspark View Post
    Hold on to your horses.

    You are deluding yourself as well as other responders by bringing an argument purporting to establish a particular conclusion that is directed to proving a different conclusion . . . your own conclusion.

    No one is arguing about what everyone had presented in terms of the validity, and correctness of the engineering principles. This is about a behavior designed to demean engineers. And thus, for the sake of fostering professional conduct. . . is not acceptable

    So, your hacked statement “there is no right or wrong” is out of place.

    You can't bake your cake and eat it too.

    You are a committing a logical fallacy:ignoratio elenchi.
    An irrelevant conclusion with an attempt to mislead. . .but I'm not here to get misled yet.
    simmer done, your entire position is a strawman arguement
    whose conclusion should I support? yours? lol

    hbiss did not demean engineers (nor did I)
    we questioned the quality and/or content of the current curriculum

    there is no right or wrong, at least that can be judged by your ilk
    and again, you are not the arbitor of professional conduct

    you have misled yourself, you are confused and conflating, and in the worst case being disingenuous to contort what was said to elevate your position above those of others
    we call that BS, no latin required
    Last edited by Ingenieur; 05-17-18 at 08:27 PM.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranes View Post
    No joke, all his comments so far have been along these lines.

    He can't logically back up the claims he makes, so he just rambles some irrelevant idiom and pretends to take the high road. There is no point in trying to add logic to argument at this point. On top of that, he seems to be very stuck in his ways.

    Regardless, I'm glad there are those willing to share experience of being in my shoes. Its encouraging, to say the least.
    If it makes you feel better, I too am in your shoes
    I'm in over my head...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •