Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Price of dual function AFCI/GFCI devices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    Even the pros are buying from Home Depot
    sadly true …..the big HD turnoff for me being I can't shake the notion i'm another cast member in a walking dead episode.... ~RJ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even the pros are buying from Home Depot
    That same boss I just mentioned spends about $120K at HD every year, the rest is with a local supplier. Reason being is that most of his work was in an area with no convenient suppliers and he's on the contractor program and never pays shelf price for anything anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post
    That same boss I just mentioned spends about $120K at HD every year, the rest is with a local supplier. Reason being is that most of his work was in an area with no convenient suppliers and he's on the contractor program and never pays shelf price for anything anyway.
    Even then I've seen wire actually being cheaper. Load centers as well. Fittings and boxes are rip off though.
    I'm in over my head...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by romex jockey View Post
    sadly true …..the big HD turnoff for me being I can't shake the notion i'm another cast member in a walking dead episode.... ~RJ~
    They know how to lower the prices on select items- a Walmart effect if you will.
    I'm in over my head...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even then I've seen wire actually being cheaper. Load centers as well. Fittings and boxes are rip off though.
    That is the case. But when the closest supplier is 30+ minutes away and you need something now, the time saved is a wash.

Now, can we steer this back to what an absolute scam the AFCI is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post
    Now, can we steer this back to what an absolute scam the AFCI is.

Well, I think that is self evident when a 5ma AFCIs cost more than 30ma AFCIs.
    I'm in over my head...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think that is self evident when a 5ma AFCIs cost more than 30ma AFCIs.
    supply and demand thing and volume purchased/sold are factors. Why are 4 foot fluorescent lamps (even back when they were all T12) less cost then two and three foot lamps? Materials wise they should cost less.

Boxes and fittings - my guess is they are pretty good price on some of the highest volume sellers. Not so much on their lower volume sellers.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What irks me is that when afci technology was new and expensive, we were told the price would drop after the initial R&D investment was paid down.

Well here we are at least a decade later. The technology is no longer new, and the prices have increased....I recall paying $38 back in the beginning of this, and have never seen anything under $40 in years. It's clearly profiteering thanks to the code councils voting to make yet another marginal "safety" measure a requirement.

re: big box vs supply houses. In my area pricing is all over the map. I recently bought some Eaton CH hubs. I happened to see the size I needed in the local big box, but was at the supply house counter and nowhere near the big box when I needed them. $16 apiece! Two days later I was in the big box, and went over to see their price. $6.84.

My my issue with both supply houses and big box is reduced stock at both. Neither big box ever has everything needed for even a small residential job. The supply houses around here tend to have multiple locations and stock certain brands in each. Keeping track of who has what is exhausting. As I do electrically work as only part of the services I offer, it isn't economical to stock very much. But it's hard to strike that balance of saving time running for materials and paying for stock that may not be used in a timely manner.

oh well, #firstworldproblems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    supply and demand thing and volume purchased/sold are factors. Why are 4 foot fluorescent lamps (even back when they were all T12) less cost then two and three foot lamps? Materials wise they should cost less.

Boxes and fittings - my guess is they are pretty good price on some of the highest volume sellers. Not so much on their lower volume sellers.
    What is so different other than programming- if not a cut jumper in the circuit board.
    I'm in over my head...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is so different other than programming- if not a cut jumper in the circuit board.
    No matter what the difference is - a different part number needs it's own warehouse space, production run, etc. The one you sell more of typically is the one that will sell for less when many other aspects of the item are otherwise the same thing.

When you have the market somewhat cornered - you can still set price wherever you want to some degree. There is only four manufacturers for this kind of product - they have a lot of control over what is available and what they will charge for it.

You also have middle man trying to take some mark up on it. If big box store buys in larger quantities then your supply house - they possibly get better price on their purchase amount. If big box store doesn't sell as many DF breakers - then they aren't going to purchase at same volume level.

Big box seems to give you better price on larger quantity on many items these days.

Supply house are more likely to give you better price when purchasing an entire project on one order/quote then if you went in and purchased all the same items individually.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.