Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire pump new church bldg

Just curious NEC_ADDICTED. Are you a natural born English speaker. Sometimes what you say is kind of hard to follow and does not make much sense, like what you just said. It is like you think in a different language and try to translate it to English.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    Height of the building and size of the sprinkler pipes will have an effect.

For example, we had an entire 3 story building with the sprinkler system designed without a fire pump.

But the contractor installed a fire pump (with engineering approval) so the piping sizes could be reduced. So the entire system was basically redesigned with a pump.

But I believe city water pressure will only push water up so high. So one a building hits some height, a fire pump is probably a necessity no matter what size the pipes are.
    If you have 100 psi in the street off a 12" main, you're pretty good for most small commercial projects.

The rule of thumb for building height is 0.5 psi per foot. With 100 psi in the street you could go 35 feet and have 65 psi left over (which you'll need for your stand pipe). More height or less pressure and you need a pump. Which, by the way, is going to be limited to 175 psi as that's the max design pressure for sprinkler systems, unless you are using pressure reducing floor assemblies. But I see my audience is starting to nod off, so I'm going to stop here.

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    Just curious NEC_ADDICTED. Are you a natural born English speaker. Sometimes what you say is kind of hard to follow and does not make much sense, like what you just said. It is like you think in a different language and try to translate it to English.
    My guess is you are actually referring to a text note 'written' not 'spoken'.

So who is on the hook for proper English?

Quote Originally Posted by nec_addicted View Post
    My guess is you are actually referring to a text note 'written' not 'spoken'.

So who is on the hook for proper English?
    It has become common vernacular here to refer to such things as being "spoken". You have to understand from context that it is actually an email or a text message or a forum post or some other informal written communication.
    Bob