User Tag List

Thread: next higher size???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

next higher size???

Hi
    I am supplying a 120' away sub panel l thru a set of #6 thhn, cu in an apartment building.

Question is,
    can use 70A ocpd for the feeder main ; according to next-larger size rule ?????

Also,
    70A ocpd for the feeder main; What size copper wires can be used to feed that apartment sub panel. ???????

Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    215.2 requires that your feeder conductor have the amapcity to supply the load so your #6 THHN would be good for a 65 amp loadassuming 75° terminations. If your load does not exceed 65 amps, you are good with a 70 amp overcurrent device.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    215.2 requires that your feeder conductor have the amapcity to supply the load so your #6 THHN would be good for a 65 amp loadassuming 75° terminations. If your load does not exceed 65 amps, you are good with a 70 amp overcurrent device.
    I second that and add that if your feeder is NM cable - you are limited to 60C ampacity.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.