Outlet for tankless HW GFI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

In an unfinished basement they are going with a tankless gas hot water heater, it needs an outlet for igniter and for condensate pump. I'm not putting it on a GFI but is it supposed to be? I see an exception for fire and burglar alarms in 210-8 (5). We are on the 2011 code.

Tankless and GFCI

Tankless and GFCI

I'm in Los Angeles and I do a lot of power for residential thankless water heaters for a friend plumbing contractor.
I pretty much maintain use of GFCI only in the normal code usage. If the tankless is outdoors anywhere, GFCI and a bubble cover. If it's indoors and nowhere near any other water source (6f)) I won't use a GFCI, unless the homeowner specified they would like one used.
There has been one question that I have that I cannot find an answer to and that is the PT(pressure and temperature) valve and if it has a directional pipe, and the proximity of the receptacle to the pipe or pipeless valve. Sometimes space is limited for the receptacle install and it ends up below the valves general location. If the PT valve should open we could have a problem.
So, I usually have the plumber extend the pipe down past the height of the receptacle to avoid any water contact. Since that is really the only open water source, and its usage is mechanical and not a tap source for water. That is for indoor install, is that good enough?
As far as I'm concerned if the tankless is indoors and not within 6ft of another water source, I treat it as I would a laundry plug. No GFCI

growler

What is the problem of putting it on a GFCI?

No problem really just that something makes it pop and they have no hot water. I'll put it on the gfi. We'll still be working there for a month or so anyway to see how it is. Thanks

Why do people think that a GFCI receptacle is going to be a problem? If it pops then you look for the problem.

Not useing a GFCI is like closeing your eyes because what you can't see can't hurt you.

GerryB

Why do people think that a GFCI receptacle is going to be a problem? If it pops then you look for the problem.

Not useing a GFCI is like closeing your eyes because what you can't see can't hurt you.
The problem is when you get a call after a long enough hard enough day and the person doesn't know how to reset it or they said they pushed the button and your're not entirely sure and you WASTE YOUR TIME GOING BACK TO PUSH THE BUTTON. Now normally there is no problem, but also I see no safety reason for GFCI protection in many places where the code is now asking for it. If you look up some statistics on how many homeowners actually receive any kind of serious life or limb shock from home current it will be a very very small number, also for children. The injuries are from fires, shocks on aluminum ladders where you fall off, etc. I just did some finish work on a kitchen remodel, the next morning HO plugged in an iron and a breaker tripped. A second floor hall breaker completely unrelated to anything done in the kitchen. Guess who had an attitude (HO) and guess who had to go see (unpaid) what happened.

growler

I just did some finish work on a kitchen remodel, the next morning HO plugged in an iron and a breaker tripped. A second floor hall breaker completely unrelated to anything done in the kitchen. Guess who had an attitude (HO) and guess who had to go see (unpaid) what happened.

How often does this happen? If this is once in a blue moon then don't worry about it. If it's happening all the time you are doing something wrong.

If it was me an the HO had an attitude they would be charged for that service call. Like you said it was not because of anything you did so is not covered by warranty.

A few years ago I installed some GFCI receptacles that turned out to be on a recall list ( top name brand ) and I replaced all of those for free. I try not to do very much for free.

GerryB

How often does this happen? If this is once in a blue moon then don't worry about it. If it's happening all the time you are doing something wrong.

If it was me an the HO had an attitude they would be charged for that service call. Like you said it was not because of anything you did so is not covered by warranty.

A few years ago I installed some GFCI receptacles that turned out to be on a recall list ( top name brand ) and I replaced all of those for free. I try not to do very much for free.
I try not do to much free work myself. Actually the HO attitude was with the GC really, I was there one day to rough and then one day to finish, but it was quite a while in between. She texted him "plugged in the iron and the breaker tripped, this never happened before, FIX IT NOW she wrote. Turns out her husband reset the breaker, she continued to iron no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.