raised cover on 1900 box

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleuns

I received a call this morning from a customer that just went through an OSHA audit. The OSHA inspector has told them that it is a violation to install a raised receptacle cover on a 1900 box. She informed them it was a "listed" violation in the NEC but would not elaborate further and that all of the receptacles would have to be installed in a bell box or FS box.

Anyone else ever heard of this?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Never heard of that except that perhaps the location is in question.

For those who don't know-- a 1900 box is a 4 in square box.

aleuns

Never heard of that except that perhaps the location is in question.

For those who don't know-- a 1900 box is a 4 in square box.

I don't have all of the information yet from the customer. The initial indication that I have is that all of them have to be changed so I don't think it is a location issue. They are located in many different areas of the plant including office areas where they are surface mounted around the perimeter of the office.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I received a call this morning from a customer that just went through an OSHA audit. The OSHA inspector has told them that it is a violation to install a raised receptacle cover on a 1900 box. She informed them it was a "listed" violation in the NEC but would not elaborate further and that all of the receptacles would have to be installed in a bell box or FS box.

Anyone else ever heard of this?

Following Dennis' comment, I ask, is you customer describing receptacles in a "wet location"? Check the Article 100 Definition of Location, Wet.

iwire

Staff member
Do these happen to be pendent outlets?

For sure OSHA will site 4" squares hung on cord pendents. That is both an NEC and an OSHA violation.

aleuns

I don't have all of the information yet but the initial indication from customer is that he was informed all of them have to be changed to FS or bell boxes. They are not in wet locations and they are not pendants. Many of them are surface mounted on a block wall that required more 120 vac outlets. Some are run to newly installed workstations on the factory floor where they required a computer and network cable (run in two different conduits before that is asked).

aleuns

One code I am looking at as far as application and not location is 250.146 (A)(B). I understand that this must be complied with but to give a cover-all statement that they all must be changed............I don't know.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Is there any rule that states you cannot use a plaster ring and plate for a surface mount installation?

I always use a raised cover on surface installations however I was told that method was a preference not code.

teufelhounden91

I don't see what the problem is unless it's a location issue. Maybe OSHA misunderstood the location and thought the area was a wet location?

I always get scared when OSHA starts quoting code. What type of plant are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Is there any rule that states you cannot use a plaster ring and plate for a surface mount installation?

I always use a raised cover on surface installations however I was told that method was a preference not code.

...to the letter of the code its a violation, and hack work at that.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I have heard it before

I have heard it before

When I worked for _ &_ I thought it was just a company policy, but I was told no 1900's all FS boxs. I just thought it was for GMP purposes.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
110.3(B), a metal receptacle/switch cover is not designed to be used with a surface mounted mud ring
I don't think you read Sierra's question right. I read his words to describe a coverplate, whether metallic or nonmetallic, that one commonly sees as the flush coverplate on drywall (or plaster) inside occupancies.

You seem to equate a "plate" and a "raised cover" as identical, but they are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.