Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pool pump

Quote Originally Posted by texie View Post
    If the OP has other bonded items such as a ladder, etc in direct contact with the pool water that is at least 9 square inches of surface area, that can serve as water bonding in lieu of a special fitting.

Yeah until the metal ladder is replaced with a nonconductive ladder. IMO, best to have the bonding at the pump area.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Yeah until the metal ladder is replaced with a nonconductive ladder. IMO, best to have the bonding at the pump area.
    There is no requirement in the code that future changes be accomodated.

If the pump is not running is the water in the pipe still in contact with the water in the pool? If it is on the suction side it probably is. On the downstream side maybe not.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    There is no requirement in the code that future changes be accomodated.

If the pump is not running is the water in the pipe still in contact with the water in the pool? If it is on the suction side it probably is. On the downstream side maybe not.
    I think that the listed products ensure that the item is in contact with the water when the pump is off but I am not sure. I have seen some products that advertise that they are in contact with the water when the pump is off.

Btw, I know there is no code req. for future changes, that is why I said IMO....

I think that the listed products ensure that the item is in contact with the water when the pump is off but I am not sure. I have seen some products that advertise that they are in contact with the water when the pump is off.

Btw, I know there is no code req. for future changes, that is why I said IMO....
    I would tend to agree that if I had a pool I would not want the metal ladder to have a wire running from it.
    Bob

That is going to depend on placement to some degree. If located in a section of pipe that happens to drain when pump isn't running - it will never bond the water when pump isn't running no matter how many different listing criteria it may comply with.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I would tend to agree that if I had a pool I would not want the metal ladder to have a wire running from it.
    I don't think you have any choice, if you have a fixed metal ladder it will have a connection to the equipotential bonding system in some way. Doesn't mean that connection is normally exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I don't think you have any choice, if you have a fixed metal ladder it will have a connection to the equipotential bonding system in some way. Doesn't mean that connection is normally exposed.
    i suppose if you could hide it well enough. otherwise I would go for plastic.
    Bob

I am not certain that the water in the pipe disappears just because the pump isn't running. Wouldn't the pressure from the pool water keep the water from pouring back into the pool?

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    The pools I've wired & inspected, there is a "cup" that is poured into the concrete around the pool.
    This cup has the equipotential bond wire connected to it & the ladders, diving board, etc. are held in place somehow (I haven't seen how) by the cup.
    Has to be a listed assembly I assume. The equipotential bond is concealed in the concrete.
    Last edited by rcarroll; 05-16-18 at 06:35 PM.
    Ron

I am not certain that the water in the pipe disappears just because the pump isn't running. Wouldn't the pressure from the pool water keep the water from pouring back into the pool?
    As I said, it depends on placement. If the fitting in question is above the highest level of the pool, I would expect it to drain below that fitting when pump is not running if there are no check valves to prevent this from happening.

Not around pools enough to know what is typical, and when I am usually as a user and not a service/installation person, but seems pretty logical to be that way for an in ground pool with mechanical room/area at or above grade.