550.15H under chassis wiring wet location

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I fished it up to the panel, ran it out to my disco where i sleaved it in pvc. Its for a mini split ac unit.

I see, I thought you were talking about the feeder to the Panel.

JAP>

willg

wet location

wet location

WA State only qualifies as a wet location 10 months a year... When I was doing a lot of road construction and ditch work I eould go through about 3 sets of good rain gear a season.

willg

So the head inspector is saying that since these are mobile homes, its important to keep them ready to travel. I dont see that in the code, its not in the WAC, or HUD. I believe if the code meant for all under chassis wireing to be in conduit it would say just that. It wouldn't say if exposed to weather.

willg

exposed to weather

exposed to weather

The heading of article 550.15 is exposed to weather. They are definetly not exposed to weather. I did three min split ac units in the same day in romex. Tucked up tight using wire ties. The inspector is claiming exposed to weather because they can be moved. He recommended i cut the rodent barrier and fish it above the barrier which he would OK. Thats crazy to me, that tape never holds, and its not a moisture barrier anyway its for rodents.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
So the head inspector is saying that since these are mobile homes, its important to keep them ready to travel. I dont see that in the code, its not in the WAC, or HUD. I believe if the code meant for all under chassis wireing to be in conduit it would say just that. It wouldn't say if exposed to weather.
I can see the inspectors point if it is a mobile home, Earlier you said manufactured home. Which is it? The nameplate should contain a substantial clue... :happyyes:

Nevertheless, 550.15 general statement says its requirements are regarding mobile homes (and includes manufactured homes per its definition).

willg

The one in question is a newer double wide. Ive also done some old 60s mobiles, that will never be moving unless theyre going to the dump.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Double wide manufactured. WA state considers it a mobile home
Still, the second part of my post has it covered either way. :angel:

Just re-read your original post. I had been of the impression the units were set on a permanent perimeter foundation... but it appears not, as tie-downs would not be necessary. Not sure what you mean by pitted.

Now even more so inclined to agree with inspector.

Last edited:

willg

By pitted, I mean that the crawlspace is dug out and the home sits down on a block foundation. The floor of the home is ground level and the crawl is a couple feet down like modern stick built. Not like the old mobiles they pulled in place and put up skirting, although I would still contend that since they're skirted they are not subject to weather either.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
By pitted, I mean that the crawlspace is dug out and the home sits down on a block foundation. The floor of the home is ground level and the crawl is a couple feet down like modern stick built. Not like the old mobiles they pulled in place and put up skirting, although I would still contend that since they're skirted they are not subject to weather either.
That's more what I had in mind. An afterthought says using tie downs for anchorage has no bearing on this matter. I back on your side of the fence, FWIW... :angel:

willg

Well I've decided to give up. Im most likely going to run exposed EMT from now on. I have abother question though, in regards to 352.44. If I run PVC under the trailer am I still required to install an expansion joint, since it would be subject to tempature difference? Thanks for your replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Well I've decided to give up. Im most likely going to run exposed EMT from now on. I have abother question though, in regards to 352.44. If I run PVC under the trailer am I still required to install an expansion joint, since it would be subject to tempature difference? Thanks for your replies.
Depends on details, as always.

willg

It would be probably 20' between points, if it was run outside it would need an expansion fitting. Im just wondering if there is any difference since its underneath the home. Also, it seems like it would be hard to use the proper pvc straps. I could probably use beam clams and minis but I doubt I could get them every 3 feet. Seems like my only answer is EMT.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It would be probably 20' between points, if it was run outside it would need an expansion fitting. Im just wondering if there is any difference since its underneath the home. Also, it seems like it would be hard to use the proper pvc straps. I could probably use beam clams and minis but I doubt I could get them every 3 feet. Seems like my only answer is EMT.
Probably... but I don't know of any published data... so you'd have to measure the ambient temperature in the dead of winter and heat of summer to determine.

iwire

Staff member
To me it is very simple.

If the AHJ says it is subject to damage and or moisture we are pretty much stuck with that. We can object but the AHJ gets the final say.

kwired

Electron manager
Probably... but I don't know of any published data... so you'd have to measure the ambient temperature in the dead of winter and heat of summer to determine.

Correct, like any other PVC run it depends on the maximum temp range.

Under the mobile home may not be as much change as exposed outdoors, but will still have a high and low. I'd expect the range to be somewhat significantly lower then if you were running on the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.