Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pool pump

Pool pump

How does one tell if the pump takes care of the water bond?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    It's about 99% likely it won't. It would have to be a metal pump. Unless it's a large pool most all pool pumps are plastic
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Ty Dave, I was always confused about one thing. When you provide an equipotential grid and bring back to the pump, I was always under the assumption that the egc from the system and the bonding should be separated but obviously when you hit the pump with the Bonding grid they eventually become together or am I wrong or does it not matter

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You are correct. The equipotential bonding does end on the pump which has an equipment grounding conductor and they will be connected. In fact, the nec requires us to tie the equipotential bonding to the equipment grounding conductor in the case of a double insulated pump
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

A short section of metal piping in the circulation piping could easily be the water bond.

I am not a pool guy, but with hot tubs the heater is usually in a metal section of piping and gets bonded - and bonds the water as well.

Stainless piping a good idea for this for corrosion reasons.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

There are listed products to bond the pool water...

This is one of many

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    There are listed products to bond the pool water...

This is one of many

Is listing required? Might still be simple to just buy such a product, but that looks pretty easy to fabricate in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Is listing required? Might still be simple to just buy such a product, but that looks pretty easy to fabricate in a pinch.

I guess that would depend on the authority having jurisdiction. My guess is pool related it needs to be listed

pool water bond

If the OP has other bonded items such as a ladder, etc in direct contact with the pool water that is at least 9 square inches of surface area, that can serve as water bonding in lieu of a special fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by texie View Post
    If the OP has other bonded items such as a ladder, etc in direct contact with the pool water that is at least 9 square inches of surface area, that can serve as water bonding in lieu of a special fitting.
    I knew that other bonded items in the water could get it done - 9 square inches is maybe the key - if fitting is under 9 square inches but still listed for bonding the water - I don't see how it can be rejected. If it is more then 9 square inches I don't see how it can be rejected whether listed or not, needs the attachment method of the bonding conductor to at least be "approved" though. How do you turn down a listed lug attached to a stud welded to the pipe or fitting?