Interconnected Smokes in Mobile Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

This mobile home needs to pass a pre sale inspection before it can be sold in a town in Massachusetts. I'm familiar with the one and two family code where detectors need to be interconnected if built after 1975.

This mobile home was built in the early 90's. The home has hardwired detectors but they are not interconnected. The fire department inspector failed the inspection because they were not interconnected.

Connecting the detectors together will not be easy and I'm wondering if mobile homes are exempt.

iwire

Staff member

JFletcher

I believe that is incorrect

I think this is a better source. http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dfs/osfm/pubed/flyers/consumers-guide-w-sell-1-and-2-fam.pdf

A mobile home is still a single family dwelling.

Heh, I figured you'd be here (and with a better link), and correct. From yours:

"Typical one- and two-family residences
permitted between 1975 and August 27, 1997:
• Smoke detectors are required as follows:
▪ One smoke detector on every habitable level of
the residence.
▪ One smoke detector on the ceiling at the base of
each stairway.
▪ One smoke detector on the ceiling outside of
each separate sleeping area.
▪ A minimum of one smoke detector must be
installed for every 1,200 square feet of living
space per level.
Must be hardwired interconnected smoke
detectors
"

However, is a mobile home a "typical" family dwelling by MA code/law/definition? Would being manufactured elsewhere vs assembled on site matter?

OP, they may not be interconnected now, but have you checked to see if there is wiring to allow it? If the home was built 25 years ago, maybe (hopefully) the HO has changed out all the SAs, maybe didnt know what to do with the red/orange wire.

mkgrady

There is no third conductor at the detectors. I found a document in my files from the town of Plymouth fire department that indicates Mobil homes are exempt from the mass building code that spells out where detectors are required. It indicates that smokes are required but interconnection is not. I don't know how to get a different town to accept that though without knowing where the regulation comes from.

iwire

Staff member
However, is a mobile home a "typical" family dwelling by MA code/law/definition? Would being manufactured elsewhere vs assembled on site matter?

I really do not know, I have never worked on one. I see the OP has info from one town but to me that makes no sense whatsoever.

mkgrady

I really do not know, I have never worked on one. I see the OP has info from one town but to me that makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm guessing that since Mobil homes are pretty small the interconnected part is less important. The home has three hardwired smokes. It seems silly that they don't require interconnection but if not required the seller doesn't want to upgrade.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

If Mass. uses the IBC as it's base code, then I believe you will find that the IBC does not cover mobile homes. There is a federal standard that covers mobile homes. I'm away from my code books at the moment.

mkgrady

If Mass. uses the IBC as it's base code, then I believe you will find that the IBC does not cover mobile homes. There is a federal standard that covers mobile homes. I'm away from my code books at the moment.
I have found info that says the mass building code does not apply to mobile homes. The requirements are by hud. 24 CFR 3280.208. I looked over but can't say that I understand it

iwire

Staff member
I have found info that says the mass building code does not apply to mobile homes. The requirements are by hud. 24 CFR 3280.208. I looked over but can't say that I understand it

Building codes such as stud sizes etc I think you are right.

But I am pretty sure that the smoke detector requirements are not part of the building code.

They are Board of fire protection regulations.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Building codes such as stud sizes etc I think you are right.

But I am pretty sure that the smoke detector requirements are not part of the building code.

They are Board of fire protection regulations.

HUD is in charge of Mobile Homes, at least when they are manufactured/assembled.
Here the inspectors don't check anything inside except to make sure there is a 4-wire connection.
But if there is any remodeling or damage repair (electrically), it must be done to code and inspected.

I would say that since there was no interconnection wire in the MH that HUD didn't require it. That would have to be verified through HUD but I can't see someone removing just the interconnection wire as the OP said there was not a wire to connect them.

I couldn't tell you the year model but I have replaced smokes in a MH that was hardwired but not interconnected. Usually there are just two, one at each end of the home. Some don't even have them in bedrooms.

iwire

Staff member
HUD is in charge of Mobile Homes, at least when they are manufactured/assembled.
Here the inspectors don't check anything inside except to make sure there is a 4-wire connection.
But if there is any remodeling or damage repair (electrically), it must be done to code and inspected.

I would say that since there was no interconnection wire in the MH that HUD didn't require it. That would have to be verified through HUD but I can't see someone removing just the interconnection wire as the OP said there was not a wire to connect them.

I couldn't tell you the year model but I have replaced smokes in a MH that was hardwired but not interconnected. Usually there are just two, one at each end of the home. Some don't even have them in bedrooms.

I understand all of that. HUD handles what would be the building code issues.

But here in MA i do not believe our smoke alarm rules are part of the building code, they seem to be part of MA fire prevention codes.

That said, I may be mistaken.

mkgrady

I talked to the fire department inspector today. He admitted that failing the inspection was wrong because the rules for typical homes to not apply to mobile homes. He even said the home sale pre inspection is not even required. Thanks for all the responses.

construct

I don't know if this will help and I don't MA state law but ....

In July of 1976, HUD started regulating the manufacturing of mobile homes after enacting the "Manufactured Housing Safety Standard". They were then called "manufactured homes" and have to bare the plate that says they meet that standard. Since this standard regulates their construction, they are not required to meet building, electric, plumbing, and mechanical codes like "Modular Homes" are. Modular home manufacturers have a third-party inspection process that varifies compliance with these codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.