Thread: GFCI requirement for prison cell

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GFCI requirement for prison cell

I can't seem to find a clear answer here, but I think I am correct in saying that if 2 people "dwell" in a cell separate from the common area in jail and they have a receptacle in their cell which is within 6 ft. of a prison toilet/sink combo unit wouldn't it be required to GFCI protect it? There are GFCI breakers installed already, but they seem to be troublesome. My main question is it required and I think it is. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

A prison cell is not a dwelling unit, IMO.
    That said, the outlet being within 6' of the sink requires GFI protection. Depending on when the building was built.
    I can't remember what code cycle started to require GFI protection for outlets w/i 6' of sinks in other than dwelling units.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rcarroll View Post
    That said, the outlet being within 6' of the sink requires GFI protection. Depending on when the building was built.
    I can't remember what code cycle started to require GFI protection for outlets w/i 6' of sinks in other than dwelling units.
    I agree. Prison cell typically has most of items needed to be dwelling unit per NEC, but probably very rare for one to have provisions for cooking.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

I thin it was almost a life sentence ago?

This jail was built in the early 80s around 1982 or 1983 so according to this thread they were required in dwelling bathrooms and fountains. Being a pre-existing condition it is ok to say that it's not required unless a new circuit was installed? The only thing they might be able to use are clippers near the sink. So we agree that one it's not a dwelling unit and two GFCI in this location was not required when this building was constructed? Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by buffnitup View Post
    This jail was built in the early 80s around 1982 or 1983 so according to this thread they were required in dwelling bathrooms and fountains. Being a pre-existing condition it is ok to say that it's not required unless a new circuit was installed? The only thing they might be able to use are clippers near the sink. So we agree that one it's not a dwelling unit and two GFCI in this location was not required when this building was constructed? Thanks for all the input.
    "prison cell" needs to be defined. There are cells and there are rooms. I don't think that "clippers" would be allowed in a cell.

Quote Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
    "prison cell" needs to be defined. There are cells and there are rooms. I don't think that "clippers" would be allowed in a cell.

What's allowed would have more to do with security requirements. This may not be a maximum security facility.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by buffnitup View Post
    Being a pre-existing condition it is ok to say that it's not required unless a new circuit was installed?

I would think that if GFCI protection is required (6 ft. of sink) then either a GFCI breaker or GFCI receptacle would be required if the receptacle is changed out after the code requirement.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    I would think that if GFCI protection is required (6 ft. of sink) then either a GFCI breaker or GFCI receptacle would be required if the receptacle is changed out after the code requirement.
    I agree, change out situation can make you install if now required even if it was compliant at original installation time.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I agree, change out situation can make you install if now required even if it was compliant at original installation time.
    I'll third or 4th that. GFCI required. I'm thinking sink, clippers, and barefoot inmates with a bare concrete floor - I wouldn't want to omit the GFCI.

But I guess putting in a GFCI receptacle in the cell is a problem due to possible vandalism, or similar issues? If the GFCI breaker have a problem tripping, they might be too far away from the receptacles (too much wire length).

Maybe a deadface GFCI could be located closer to the receptacles? ALso, is there anything else wired to the GFCI breaker? Maybe lights?