Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalist

We're working on a medical building that har ER in its name, there are exam , observation and treatment room by name.
I spent a few days on here and in the code book and mistakenly used HCF mc without the engineers approval.
He says he is thinking about having me take it all out.
I asked he to classify exactly what rooms were patient care and actually critical or life safety.
I thought by definition he has a bunch of general care rooms.
The 80% inspector said that I have a valid point, they need to define clearly what the rooms will be for.
If i have to pull it out I deserve to be fired. I understand.
Any info would be helpfull in sorting through what defines and is required.
Thanks.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What did the engineer ask for in his specs and is there a generator involved?

Roger

electricalist

He asked for emt imt or ridged.
Its on me to read the scope and it was a lot of reading. Just after lighting in a 2 line paragraph.
There is 1 generator.
2 ATS switches
1 feeds EDP which feeds what they are calling CH to xfmr to CL, and EDP to xfmr to LL.
2 nd feeds EH. air handling.
Im not sure he has this set up correctly..

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
He has you if his specs asked for EMT and even above that, the HFC would not be allowed for the Critical or Life Safety Branches, see 517.30(C)(3)(3) for where you could possibly use it on these branches.

Roger

electricalist

That's what was in question for me.
Is an exam room that has a set up of general care even require a critical or life safety circuit. It doesnt seem to be.

electricalist

I need to read up on a type 2 facility.
The % inspector said the owner co etc need to clarify what the establishment will do. (% insp, if someone bleeds they will be transported elsewhere ?engineer: Yes. % insp. And so why do we feel confused from ER in the signage. Engineer: I see what you're implying )

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I hope you can get this worked out and hope the engineer is reasonable but, if the facility has a Critical branch, 517.18(A) and 517.19(A) could be required to be met.

Roger

electricalist

Yes sir.
The engineer and I were on very open for a solution standing after the inspection.
I expressed any error on my part I take full responsibility for and my only goal is to provide what he wants at the best cost I can research.

If you see a resume for me on here.
Please disregard any comments in consideration.

electricalist

Mr. Roger when we talk about switch legs for lighting on a " critical" circuit. They are emt from switch to top plate, do I understand the code to be above 7.5 ft. It could be HCF? Or does conduit ( emt) still apply

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Mr. Roger when we talk about switch legs for lighting on a " critical" circuit. They are emt from switch to top plate, do I understand the code to be above 7.5 ft. It could be HCF? Or does conduit ( emt) still apply

Above 7.5' you do not need an insulated wire EGC for fixtures, the metallic sheath of a raceway that is recognized as an EGC in 250.118 is all that is needed for Normal Branch circuits, that means HCF, AC, Greenfield that comply are all acceptable. For the Critical and Life Safety Branches you would still need a non-flexible metallic wiring method.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.